Model A value

M.A.

We own a 1931 Model A blind back.  We are interested in selling it and are looking for help with figuring out a reasonable price to sell the vehicle.  16 or 17 year old outside restoration.  Housed in barn.  Original inside in so so condition.  The engine works when we bought it.  Have not put any miles on it since.  Currently the engine will not turn over.  Any help you can give us we would be so appreciative.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I would tend to agree with Mercer. So so interior, stuck engine, 17 year older restoration and to start with, not a high dollar car. What kind of restoration, how deep did the owner go or is it just a rattle can cosmetic restoration? Pictures would help. In some of the classified ad's in Model A Club magazines, fully restored and nice cars are going for between $10K and $15K.

Add me to the group that would suggest taking a very good set of pictures, describe the car as completely and honestly as you can, and list the car on eBay. As the old saying goes, it's worth exactly what someone will pay for it.

Sellers not as steeped in the old car hobby, as many here are, often don't realize that small details have a significant impact on the value of a car like a Model A Ford to the knowledgeable buyer. Just a few Model A-specific examples: does the car have a set of working factory shocks in place? Do they have the correct shock links fitted, rather than later or replacement style? Are the fender beads all unbroken? Are the spoke wheels rust-pitted and if so, how badly? Is the radiator shell dent and crack-free? Does the motor have the correct-for-year carb or is it a Tillotson or similar? Has the car been converted to hydraulic brakes? Have the headlamps been converted to sealed beams?

Because of a lack of this level of detail, it is often (IMO) not really possible for "what is my old car worth?" questions posted here to be answered with any degree of accuracy.