Which insurance co. do you use; do you like their restrictions?

Reatta Man

I'm checking on collector car insurance and wanted to know what experiences other members were having.

After checking with Grundy, I decided to NOT use them because their exclusions are big enough to drive an 18-wheeler through. They even told me that if I drove my car to a church picnic on the weekend, I wouldn't be covered because that is not a club activity nor a pleasure drive. The agent says a pleasure drive is when you just get in the car with no particular place to go! (Nods to Chuck Berry) I guess with Grundy, you would have to lie about where you are going in order to have your insurance remain in effect.

What company are you using for your collector car insurance, and does your state have any special usage limitations or provisions for collector car insurance? Have you had any claims with that company, and if so, how did you like their claims and customer service?

Thanks in advance.....

Joe

I too, use Hagerty and am very pleased with them. They have an agreed value policy, whereby you receive the full amount the vehicle is insured for, in the case of a total loss. This last year, Hagerty informed me that my vehicle had appreciated in value, and wanted to know if I wanted to increase the agreed value on my policy- I thought that was a decent thing to do. I haven't had any claims with them-(thankfully-no one wants a fender bender in their classic!) but have every confidence that they would handle claims promptly and professionally. David

I also use Hagerty,but for a different reason than the others. I drive my Antique Buicks collectively about 20,000 miles a year. They have never asked me for an odometer reading ,and have taken care of two small claims ( a windshield and a bumped fender) with no arguments. I think they are the BEST

I use Hagerty too, they have no mileage restrictions, and go with stated value based on your request, and have even increased value without me telling them! Have not had a claim fortunately, but know of others that have like The Old Guy and another friend whose '68 Skylark Convertible was hit by a Honda and they were more than satisified with the compensation. They also insured my '86 Corvette that only had 13K on it and then the '86 Grand National but that was only because I had an existing policy for the older cars. The project '68 GS 350 is also insured by them. Hope that helps.

Guest my3buicks

I have used Hagerty for several years after about 17 years with Condon & Skelly(Changed do to poor communication and problems with C & S). I did have a small claim with Hagerty and it was handled without complaint or problems. I have added several vehicles and deleted several vehicles with them over the several years I have been with them and all has been smooth and trouble free. My confidence is with Hagerty!

I use Cincinnati ---they are the carriers of my 1999 Towncar insurance. I have used them for 25 years and have had very few claims. I have agreed amount of $20K and all big liability amounts. I can only drive to club meetings, car shows, and the like and for maintenance 2500mi/yr. My Total Insurance premium for Lincoln and 1955 76-R is only $1250 which I think is dirt cheap.

i just recently hooked up with hagerty also...for my 76 free spirit...my first time having specialty car insurance...bothered them with all the questions i could..and they answered all in terms i could understand.....and their costomer service is great(i dont work for them..lol..)..i have a 15k agreed value...and 3000 miles per year..but planning 2 go down on the mileage since i only book maybe 20 miles a week....and i was surprised by how low the premiums were..i pay about $200 a year... smile.gif

I have Hagerty too. I changed to them in '96, and have had one claim for paint damage. The claim was handled extremely well with no problems. I changed to them because of the restrictions on use from my previous carrier, as I did not like the restrictions on leaving the car unattended and using only for pleasure driving. I felt that the definition on "pleasure driving" was so broad that they could deny coverage if I stopped at a 7-11 for refreshments. Also, Hagerty's customer service department is much easier to contact, and more responsive to requests for assistance.

Guest COMPACTBC

Unless J.C. Taylor has changed their policy, they DO NOT offer an "insured for and valued at" definition for physical damage to your car. Last time I checked it was still "value at time of loss", this leaves a lot of room for the insurance company to argue with the insured about what the value of the car is. NOT A GOOD THING to have to deal with. I use Grundy, had one glass claim with a fast settlement and no problems. smile.gif

I've had J.C. Taylor for almost 20 years now, back before you could get "Agreed Value". Neither of my cars are particularly valuable financially, so I haven't concerned myself with "Agreed Value" as yet. J.C Taylor's milage restrictions are no problem for me, and I drive my car a good deal.

About 12 years ago I had a major vandalism claim with them. They handled it great. No problems at all.

I actually use State Farm. I drove the '54 every day, and put my '97 Dakota on restricted "recreational vehicle" lower mileage coverage.

The rates were reasonable, no mileage, and I had the highest liability, etc. coverage you can get.

They never did an odometer reading, etc. We had three cars total insured with them, and got a multi-car discount.

Never had a claim with the Buick, but my Dakota was stolen out of the driveway. They initially valued it extremely fairly for a '97 Dakota, but then I threw them a curve and said it had a lot of custom work and parts on it (which they weren't aware of). I showed them some pictures of the truck, and gave them a list of the replacement value of the parts. They bumped up the payment from 10.5K (which is exactly what blue book was on the truck, so they didn't try to gig me initially) to $17,800 to cover the custom stuff. I was very satisfied with that.

My rates never went up, either.

Also, if you're with them for a given period of time, they'll forgive a speeding ticket and won't bump up your rates.

For a longer period of time, they'll forgive a single accident if you're at fault. If you have an accident and it's not your fault, they don't ever count it against you.

I've had three claims with them--vandalism on two cars, stolen, and a recent door replacement. Rates haven't gone up.

-Brad