Battery cable terminal problem 6v

70sWagoneers

I ordered 2/0 cable and a straight post clamp type battery terminal for my 6v Buick. First, the clamp says 3/0 but i went ahaead and soldered it. But then it actually seems to be the smaller neg terminal size, even though it has a "P" on it. Even after spreading the opening its still too small, but it would fit the neg great. Do you agree and/or am I crazy?

Thanks

James

20190110_202617.jpg

I'll bet it's brass. 70sWagoneers says he soldered it (good plan IMHO). That doesn't work with the mystery metal.

Assuming the terminal is on right side up (sure looks like it to me), get a terminal cleaner like one of these and go after it slowly and carefully. Note the actual blades on these, as opposed to the commonly seen wire brush. Just hog it out enough to barely fit down level with the top of the post.

1555.jpg

SCA_214454_hi-res.jpg?sw=558&sh=558&sm=f

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally solved my starter woes. Now Ive got new 2/0 soldered positive cable, new mesh type ground strap, new armature and field coils in starter, new Optima battery and an auxilliary ground cable that goes directly from starter to ground strap on battery. I fixed a few problems, but believe my battery was going bad as the main culprit. But the ground from starter to battery made a significant difference too. But this is on top of me welding nuts into the frame as my ground attachment points. So she starts so good now. Thanks everyone, on to the next thing

James

• Like 3