Tar Strips under Aprons and Hood sill

Hubert_25-25

I am getting close (maybe closer is a better term) to being able to set the body back on the frame, but I need a little guidance please.  My body was off the car for decades and then hastily rebolted to the chassis to make it look like a car and to allow for transport.  The tar strips from between the apron and the frame were in a box.  The body has 1/4" thick rubber pads that are nailed to the bottom side of the wood frame.  I think where these touch the frame, they did not put any tar strips under these rubber pads.  Can anyone verify this?  

I am also wondering how much of "under the apron" had tar strips under it.   Did they put anything between the frame and the hood sill?  I numbered some of my questions in the slides as well.

Any help is appreciated.   Thank you,    Hugh

1712938708_Bodyassembly1.thumb.JPG.e95f083b59d5ccf640404be59b00aeda.JPG336823266_Bodyassembly2.thumb.JPG.d5b69e114c2534cd27558c3dcde93389.JPG

1600676511_Bodyassembly3.thumb.JPG.15b9546cef500655f6ccb3aa670843b8.JPG1516587388_Bodyassembly4.thumb.JPG.9ccdc3e7fcb26b516ef21cf8d0301ea3.JPG1547429601_Bodyassembly5.thumb.JPG.5d949bd46746d2c46c560c824af01efb.JPG

120626002_Bodyassembly6.thumb.JPG.de323dc9ee3658cd25f8a7ac161010a1.JPG

Hugh

Wow, you are making great progress!

I would use the the 'tar strips' anywhere painted sheet metal surfaces attach. I think they commonly call it 'anti-squeak' for a reason although I'm not sure that you will be able hear the squeaking over the road noise of an open car!

Plus you wouldn't want all the hard work of getting the paint on the metal to be undone.

I use roofing felt available from Home Depot. A $30 roll will do about 100 cars . The stuff I have in my shop right now is .045" so you could double it up if you wanted to duplicate what you have.

I ordered an anti squeak kit for my 52 Chev and in some places the new product had the same  2" guideline markings on it that you find on the roll of roofing felt!

3M feather spray contact adhesive to hold it in place while you put it together.

Brad

• Like 2

Don, Brad, and Larry,

Thanks for the advise.  I am going to see if I can find one of your tar paper suggestions at Lowes.  I think Buick did lay some of the painted surfaces together during initial assembly.  I know that they did not use any fender welting in 1925.  Not sure when the practice of using fender welting was started.  I did buy some "asphalt treated webbing" for on top of the chassis, but I like the idea of using tar paper or the concrete barrier strip as substitute on top of the chassis  because this is more like the original material, and also it will really flatten out if it needs to.  Wanting something that will also not hold water.

The other thing I was going to use is 3M strip caulk between the fenders and the body.  We used to use this to make circles around tail light lenses and bolts to keep water out of the trunk, and you could remove the light later without any issues.  I think this would be good as well between the hood sills and the front top of the running board aprons.  The nice thing about strip caulk is that it will protect the paint and leave a very small gap between the parts.  It won't hold water and it is easy to clean at the edge of the parts if it squeezes that far and you don't know it's there.         Hugh

187924632_3MStripCaulk.thumb.JPG.42badd9de93ca697a0046fb6952d28aa.JPG