Update on the Red/Tan 1989 Parts car

DAVES89

This morning I went over to my buddy's house where the 1989 Red/Tan that I bought from a guy in Minnesota will be stored. Price paid $500.00 plus $200.00 in trailer rental, fuel, and lunches.

At any rate after we changed the anti freeze to be ready for winter storage, I went through the glove box and found some, not all repair receipts and a mileage/repair log.

Here is what has been done in the last 30,000 miles [in order];

Rear Struts, Knock Sensor, Rear Caliper, Sway Bar [End Links?] Rear Caliper [other side], Spark Plugs, Accumulator Ball, Front Struts, Tires, Teves Brake Pressure Switch, 2 Sub Frame Bushings [explains why the entire sub frame didn't drop out], Front Brakes, Steering Wheel Part [Key Rack?], MAF Sensor, Battery, Rear Brake Line, Brake Flush, Both Front Axle Shafts, Front Brake Pads/Rotors, Complete Exhaust System.

This car is a great running car with working A/C and at this point I am happy to say that my neighbors son wants to buy it. He turns 16 next year and his parents [and I] think this would be a great first car. With all the new parts that are in it plus what I have in inventory it should work out for him. Not a big investment for them and when he blows out the tranny [first car usually gets driven hard] I'll feel better about parting it out then. 

There are a few things it needs like cruise control vacuum lines, dash inverter, dash [Gibson's has one, just needs to be repainted]. Seat has a rip in the bolster so a seat cover would work. Also head liner is starting to droop and the console cover is torn [I already have another one]. Steering wheel would also need a cover. I also have to replace 4 sub frame bushings

Pretty much cheap fixes.

The paint is failing with numerous small nicks in the paint. One rust spot in front of the drivers door and on the top of the wheel wells on both sides.  

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

That's a good question. Other then the stereo upgrade, not sure. He doesn't appear to be in doing mechanical work, and as I live next door and have back up parts, I believe we are going to get very familiar with each other and do repairs together.

With all the "new" parts in this car, and after 12 years of Reatta ownership it should be easy fixes. 

That's interesting but at this point the kid is mostly interested in sports so won't have a lot of money and his parents won't buy too much for it, so I think I'm staying with just the stereo. 

To his credit he has always liked the looks of the Reatta and really likes the touch screen. His parents likes the idea of a two seater.

And I like the idea that it will be virtually in my backyard for me to buy back when he is done with it...

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

That's a good question. Other then the stereo upgrade, not sure. He doesn't appear to be in doing mechanical work, and as I live next door and have back up parts, I believe we are going to get very familiar with each other and do repairs together.

With all the "new" parts in this car, and after 12 years of Reatta ownership it should be easy fixes. 

id suggest a bluetooth module tied into the wires from the tape player.thats what i have and it can look stock if you don't add the phone mount and usb port like i did.