66 Riviera rear window bay molding

Big Ricky

Trying to find a rear window bay molding for a 66 Riviera GS. (not sure if it's called that) The cover that runs from the top of the rear seats to the edges from side to side and to the window. It's a thick "cardboard" material. The color is a dark plum. the 66 & 67 should be the same.  Thanks!

The rear package shelf is 3 pieces. Center, and left and right sides. 66/67 will physically interchange but 66 is cosmetically different in that it has vent slots the whole way across the back next to the window. 67 does not. I have all 3 pieces in black but has it has cutouts for the rear defroster option.

These are a fiberglass like material (without much fiber) or a very rigid plastic.

• Like 1

I stand corrected. Thanks! You know what they say about assuming? HA! Mine is a bit warped. Thanks again for the correct item name. I am new to the renovation world. If you have any info to assist this freshman in getting my 66 going in the right direction, that would be great.

🙂

Richard

Thanks Jason. I am grateful for any assistance or corrections received. Am I correct to assume the 3 pieces could be painted? I would be interested in purchasing the 66 parts if you are selling. I am also looking for the passenger side seat belt cover. The dark plum is a tough color to find interior parts for. I received a  perfect sample vinyl from SMS and purchased the roll but what SMS sent was not the same. It's been 3 months now and SMS has not resolved the issue.

1 hour ago, Big Ricky said:

Thanks Jason. I am grateful for any assistance or corrections received. Am I correct to assume the 3 pieces could be painted? I would be interested in purchasing the 66 parts if you are selling. I am also looking for the passenger side seat belt cover. The dark plum is a tough color to find interior parts for. I received a  perfect sample vinyl from SMS and purchased the roll but what SMS sent was not the same. It's been 3 months now and SMS has not resolved the issue.

Richard,

I'll sell the parts but do you have the rear defroster option on you car?

If yours isn't warped too bad you might want to leave it alone.

Yes plum interior parts are very hard to find.

Yes these they are easily painted. You do not want a gloss finish due to too much reflection.

If not already a member, I suggest joining ROA

I'm pretty sure the rear package shelf pieces are common to all 2nd generation cars with maybe the exception of the '70 Riviera.

Earlier '66 versions had a series of horizontal slots for the "flow through" ventilation system in the centre section as there were no window vents

There may be some slight cosmetic differences year to year, but all the 3 piece abs plastic package shelf pieces fill the same space,

and mount the same way. The rear window defogger blower was an option for all model years !

A lot of the abs plastic package shelves warped from age, and  exposure to sun through the big back window glass.

The abs plastic can also be painted to match your interior color with special abs plastic semi gloss paint.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

If warping is the only issue, I wonder whether there would be a way to simply glue stiffening strips (metal or wood) to the underside while applying pressure during cure (those old phone books still have utility) to restore the original shape...

The abs molded plastic package shelf parts are pretty thick and quite stiff - they also get brittle with age so be careful as they can crack or split quite easily.

Once they warp and age, they have a tendency to retain that specific shape.

They are also awkward to remove or install, as you must lie on your back over the hump in the trunk with limited head space to release, or secure the special fasteners

that hold the centre section in place - there is provision for four special fasteners but usually only two got used, (...see Body Manual).

No doubt a labor saving, assembly short cut to reduce costs, or reduce hardware usage and assembly time ?

That's probably a contributing factor as to why the plastic warped in the first place ?

It was not securely fastened right from the factory to begin with !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again, to everyone...

Jason, I am interested in purchasing the 3-piece package, or at least the middle piece. How should I contact you as to a price. I am also looking for the 'Riviera Plum' vinyl for the inside. SMS had a perfect match sample but the roll was not the same. They have not been able to rectify the error for 3 months now. Any help would be great! 

Send me a private message through this site with your email and I’ll get you pics of what I have. 

You never mentioned if your car has the rear defroster option. If it doesn’t I don’t think you’ll want mine because mine has cutouts for the option.