Towing a trailer with an antique Dodge

David_Leech

Dodgin' Brother David

There's plenty of guys with opinions on Dodge's and Trailers already in this thread.

Here's a picture of a single axle (Dodge Brothers of course) "Parade" Trailer built in 2005, from parts left over after completion of the restoration of our 'Family Heirloom' 1923 D-B Screen Side.

The original Budd Co. Box is from a '23 Screen Side (Parts Truck), the frame was custom built with 2 x 2 Steel Tubing and a standard 2" Ball-Hitch. Built with an original 1923 Front Axle, shackles, springs and wheel spindles and bearings,,

mounted with re-built wooden ("Hickory") spoke wheels and new BF Goodrich tires. Original D -B fenders were 'bobbed & wire-hemmed' to eliminate the unsightly running board bracket, The fold-down Stake' sides were re-purposed from a

Military 2-1/2 Ton Truck.using clear-grain Oak for the wooden seats & backs and Truck bed. This trailer is "One-of-a-Kind" and was featured in an article in the Dodge Brothers News Magazine.

If anyone is restoring a 1922 - 1924 Screen Side and looking for a complete front axle w/ wheels & tires and a pick-up type box for their restoration - You may want to consider this unit.

If anybody is interested, the trailer is located in Central California and is offered FOR SALE.

Call for additional pictures or information.

Keep-on-Dodgin'

Donn Marinovich

(209) 533-3663

donncharles1@gmail.com

100_2167.jpg

• Like 2

The old guy with the farm wagon did you a BIG favour by deciding to keep it. Those old wheels and hubs were never designed to stand up to highway speeds in spite of them having  bearings. (ask me how I know :( ) The T axle and wheels you found will be much better for your project and you will have parts that are capable of safety and modest speeds. Should be an interesting project to design and build. Best of luck!

21 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

The old guy with the farm wagon did you a BIG favour by deciding to keep it. Those old wheels and hubs were never designed to stand up to highway speeds in spite of them having  bearings. (ask me how I know :( ) The T axle and wheels you found will be much better for your project and you will have parts that are capable of safety and modest speeds. Should be an interesting project to design and build. Best of luck!

I am much happier with the direction my project has turned.