Cell Phone Mount Help

nic walker

Hi Folks,

I have one of the larger 3" X 6" (for seniors) Great Call Smart Cell Phones.  I can see that there are different ways to mount the cell phone in cars, but our Reatta apparently poses some difficulties.  I don't think our heater-a/c vents are strong or tight enough for that type of mount, and I don't want to ruin the dash possibly by affixing a mount there.  Seems to me like the only consolation would be possibly a windshield mount.  Can some of you folks comment on my thoughts please.  And if I am correct can you folks offer some  suggestions of what mount and where to purchase please?  Thanks !

Nic, Not sure what year car you have. On my 88 moved the cassette deck backwards and installed an abs blank plate in front of it and mounted a magnet mount cell phone mount. Works good with my Nexus 6p. The top of my phone when mounted comes up the lower corner of the touch screen on the right side. Mounting it this way left no holes in the interior. I can see maps clearly and with Bluetooth hear directions thru the radio.

This is the only way I could come up with for my 88.

• Like 1

My wife picked up a new cellphone holder at a yard sale a couple of years ago that I used. I don't remember the name now. You just squeeze the sides of it in to hold the phone tightly in the holder. It has a swivel ball on the tripod that allows it to be positions at any angle.

It is supposed to fit into a AC vent. It has a flat metal arm on the top that was originally bent at an angle to hang in a vent and two arms on the bottom that have rubber bumpers on the end to stabilize it. It didn't fit the Reatta vent and I was afraid it might break the vent anyway so I straightened the top arm out and covered it with shrink tubing so it wouldn't scratch anything. The top leg of the tripod mount will squeeze tightly into the crack between the console and the dash. That holds it tightly in place and the legs on the bottom just push  against the Cassette player to keep in from shaking too much. It still shakes a little.   it can be easily be removed by pulling straight out on it.

I  have an '88 model so this might not work on '90-91 models  Maybe the photos of my phone holder will give you some ideas about what you might want to do.  I'm sure there are lots of other options that will work just as well without having to make any modifications.

cellphone mount-1.JPG

cellphone mount-2.JPG

cellphone mount-3.JPG

6 minutes ago, Dashmaster said:

Nic, Not sure what year car you have. On my 88 moved the cassette deck backwards and installed an abs blank plate in front of it and mounted a magnet mount cell phone mount. Works good with my Nexus 6p. The top of my phone when mounted comes up the lower corner of the touch screen on the right side. Mounting it this way left no holes in the interior. I can see maps clearly and with Bluetooth hear directions thru the radio.

This is the only way I could come up with for my 88.

Sounds good. Got any photos?

I will have to see if I have pictures. To move the cassette deck back enough for the abs I had to take the front face off the cassette deck. Mine did not work and have no plans to fix it. I then shifted the mounting brackets to shift the deck back a little. The cassette is still in place and is still wired .

Mount I used is this one. I screwed it into the abs panel near the top right side.  Been working wonderfully the last 2 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR4AO9D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I use one of the windshield suction mount units, I have one in the Reatta, and one I move between the other old cars, and one for each of my daily drivers  This is one in this link, not the model I have but just to show the idea https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Windshield-Dashboard-Suction-Cup-Mount-Holder-Stand-for-Cell-Phone/192134768022?epid=597121210&hash=item2cbc1fe596:m:mn4Yh4fE9LkaHs47wXSvxCQ:rk:14:pf:0

• Like 1

On my '90 [which is what Nick has] I mounted the vent style phone mount. I use it for my GPS because [wait for it] I still use a "flip" phone. As I have 16 way seats I just tuck the phone in the gap of the "fake" thigh extension on the passengers 16 way seat. 

The vent is strong enough for my GPS and the seat works well for my phone.

Before I changed my cell from Flip Phone to Smart Phone, I used a thin CD case opened and slipped the bottom part between the upper dash and console, let the top hang down, GPS suction attached to this very well. Except for the phone cost I am now paying less for my smart phone plan then my flip phone.  PM me if you want to know what cell service I use.

My 91 has the CD player which doesnt work so i use the phone mount they sell on amazon inserts into the front of the CD slot

i use the same one on my daily driver 05 Rainier, it works real well and when you take it out nothing is there. I'm happy with it playing my Spotify through a small rechargeable Bluetooth dual speaker

i took out the dead tape player and took a piece of lexan painted black on the back to give it a mirrored look and mounted a phone mount and usb port on it.it can be removed and the tape player put back in and be origional.i hooked a bluetooth module to the tape player wires so my phone hooks to the radio wirelessly.