66 67 Riviera Steering Wheel

abandg

I have a like new 66 67 steering wheel and would like to know what the official color is. I am not to familiar with the 66 67 cars. This wheel looks brand new. A good plastic wheel is pretty rare and I would like to get this to an owner who needs one. There are no cracks or dents on this wheel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gene.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

• Like 1

Gene,

Wow that is a beautiful condition wheel.

As Paul said its 66 wheel but I am not sure it goes with the blue interior. I had a 66 with a blue (621 code) interior and it was lighter than your wheel. But could be error in digital pic? Its possible its for the aqua interior???

Maybe Tom can confirm referencing a 66 color and trim book

I first got excited, because I will be needing an 67 aqua steering wheel, yet this is 66 and it looks like the blue maybe, but lets get a picture with some good light/flash?

Here is a picture of a 67 wheel aqua. I think 66-67 would be very similar. Very hard to say as you top pic does look aqua, yet seems darker like blue. The game is a foot.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 7.09.13 AM.png

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

In my eye, those horn bars are interchangeable and they're the only difference between a 66 and a 67 wheel.  Am I correct?  Same thing with the 63 and 64 steering wheels.  Swap hom bars and no one can tell.

See the indentation/striations/texture on the bottom half of the wheel? That 66 only I think.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 10.11.45 AM.png

Correct Gabriel. 67 did not have those serrations. The steering columns are different between 66-67. Totally different signal cancelling arrangement and no 4 way flasher switch. Perhaps adaptations could be made to interchange the wheels. I don't think the wood wheels from 64-66 will fit on a 67 column which may indicate there is more to it.....but since I never tried it take it for what its worth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Correct Gabriel. 67 did not have those serrations. The steering columns are different between 66-67. Totally different signal cancelling arrangement and no 4 way flasher switch. Perhaps adaptations could be made to interchange the wheels. I don't think the wood wheels from 64-66 will fit on a 67 column which may indicate there is more to it.....but since I never tried it take it for what its worth.

Yes, in '67 GM introduced the collapsible steering column.  This incorporated a steel mesh inside the column that would crush on impact, reducing injury to the driver in a severe frontal crash.  Also the 4-way flasher was made standard, with the actuating knob on the right side of the column.  These were safety upgrades mandated by the Federal government for all cars for 1967.  Both good things, really.

That probably explains why the optional wood wheel was not available from '67.  You could get one a '66, but not after that.  Correct?

• 3 years later...