1928 standard model 27 fuel gauge

michealbernal

The fuel gauge on my 1928 standard does not seem to be  working.  The tank has about 2 inches of fuel in it.  Is more fuel required to get it to register? How does that type of gauge work. Any info appreciated.  

Sorry, I should have explained further.

The dash mounted gauge has a drum type dial mounted on a spindle. A light chain is attached and runs through a pipe fitting at the back of the gauge. A flexible casing runs from the dash to the sender unit at the top of the fuel tank. The sender unit has a cork float on a lever and the other end of the lever has a connector. A very thin wire ( thinner than a piano wire ) attaches the sender unit to the dash gauge. Adjustments to the length of the wire determine the accuracy of the dash mounted gauge.

So if the internal wire is broken the drum dial will not be turned as fuel is added to the tank.

I have previously used fishing line to replace the internal wire.

596c6a7028b33_Bildschirmfoto2017-07-17um09_38_35.png.7e5939ac72fb3ccce7e64a04ef2a3033.png

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

50jetblack

Terry Wiegand

Thank you both for the insight in how the fuel gauge operates and problems to look for.  I really appreciate your time.  Mike