Brake lining specs: 1915 Dodge

I would be careful going with too think of lining on any external contracting brake bands.  These cars have pressed steel drums, which expand quite a bit more than conventional cast iron drums, when they start to get hot.  When this happens you loose all that "extra" space and end up with brakes dragging/locking up, which can actually cause a fire at the worst.  You can't believe how hot these brake drums get in service.

I do not mean disrespect, and I value the advice and technical information provided by helpful folks here! What is nagging at me is the fact that my four inch adjusting screw was tightened in fully three inches: the spring was nearly fully compressed. And that with brake pad material that measures very close to 1/4 inch now (except in some uneven worn patches). I didn’t say it here, but I am wondering if my brake bands are the wrong size — a bit too big. It is only these weird (to me) factors that would make me wonder if I should choose something other than the correct specs. Apologies for seeming to sound dismissive in the face of kindness.

The only reason the correct lining wouldn't work is if someone changed things during the cars history, so maybe try some proper lining or identify if the bands or other parts are incorrect. I didn't mean to sound too scolding with my question, but I did want you to think about it.