Best exhaust upgrades

any good exhausts for reattas? my friends all have imports (civics, sentras) but i can pretty much take them with the stock exhaust, however, the muffler is rusted through and is looking pretty shabby. I talked to a few muffler shops in the area and they suggested flow-pro. I dont know too much about them except for it sounds pretty bad on an 86 toyota supra. Im looking for a slightly more agressive tone, more power of course, and an exhaust that i wont need earplugs for. Any ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also i am looking to get a little more power out of the intake. Ive been told that i could take a civic cold air intake and cut it down for the reatta. Has this been tried by anyone? if so, please give me your opinion, and a price of course. Any other cheap performance upgrades i could do would be nice as i am a poor student who loves to drive hard smirk.gif

Guest Greg Ross

The Image Robert has posted (credit Padgett) is a view into the rear Exhaust Header. The threaded boss is where the O2 Sensor is installed. Very poor fabrication results in a severe flow restriction in this one critical area.

Padgett has previously reccommended a high flow Cat. and no muffler at all. Haven't heard a 3800 thus configured but can only imagine you'd have the agressive tone you're hunting for. And with the above restriction removed you'd definitely notice an inexpensive enhancement. wink.gif

I hope it was clear that I was crediting bowdown.gif padgett in my previous post with the link etc. If not this is bowdown.gif padgett's great work.

Recently took some of his advice but am some what confused?

As a kid we had true duals, exhaust gasses went from one bank of cylinders through a muffler and then on to a resonator and finally out. My Riv '96SC has a Y pipe to the Cat then a resonator (note change in order) then a "Y" pipe and two mufflers. Recently I removed at a cost of $20.00 the resonator. I was prepared for some increase in sound but there was no change! Now thinking of tossing the two mufflers.

Reatta has no resonator and have been thinking of removing mufffler except being a Texas car it looks almost factory fresh!

Anyone removed Reatta muffler?

Great picture.........the cat converter absorbs lots of sound. If you retain the converter, you could possibly live with the output. but a muffler or glasspack will absorb different frequencies, so it is difficult to guess what the final sound might be.

Using the photo....I did a quick calculation and it appears that the area could be increased almost 30% by cleaning the area shown. Someone check my numbers.

Had my Cat replaced to cool her down a bit (who am I kidding? She <span style="font-weight: bold">REALLY</span> needed a new Cat, mine was garbage) and the end result, with stock muffler, is a low "growl"! It was a universal, high-flow, turbo cat bought at Midas Muffler on Harford Road in Baltimore (PLUG!!). Should be able to call the shop and find out the brand, if you need it. Think I paid about a buck for the work.

Perhaps that's the sound you're looking for. Sounds really intimidating when the gas is pressed. Must be. People have pretty much stopped trying to challenge her with the Honda Civics, and one guy flat out admitted that he didn't have a chance. Wouldn't have happened before the cat, I can tellyou that. grin.gif

I removed that restriction in the rear header several years ago and you can actually hear the difference. The exhaust tone is slightly lower with just that change. I also run no cat. with a completely stock 2.25" system and the sound is just right to me. A 2.5" system like on the '91's would be better, probably the best balance between helping the top end a little and retaining the bottom end torque.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a flow master that fits Camaro it has 1 inlet and dual outlets that come out each side and put dual tips on each one. I'ts a little loud at start up and taking off but at 70 mph it sounds good and you don't have to turn up the radio. wink.gif [color:\\"blue\\"]

The muffler is not a transmounted one and has to be lower.

The best exhaust upgrade just might be Klasicfan's bilge blower. Then you can have a car that sucks and blows at the same time. I think that "K" would recommend the 4" unit smile.gif

Well I didnt buy the rims to impress you tongue.gif You may not like em, but they are much lighter than those bulky 15s on the Reatta. Yes the muffler sits low and Robert explained why.

On the note of the bilge blower: You cant have an effective exhaust without a good intake and the stock one just sucks. Here are some pics of my intake but the pics are missing the heatsheild made for me by Hal (2Seater). Im still waiting on my turbo setup Hal! Also, I painted the intake tube red and the heatsheild. I will try to get some updated pics.

Intake

Guest Greg Ross

Sorry Hal, I was editing to add another photo.

BTW;

About the Neutral Balancing, as it's explained to me, assembled neutral balancing of flywheel/ crank is the bottom end consideration. The balance shaft performs an entirely different function, to offset the V-6 firing impulses. My memory of the 225/ 231 in the sixties was a wobbler at idle. They tolerated it in those days but added the balance shaft only to overcome that bad habit wink.gif .

Guest Greg Ross

Wally,

Added the spoiler about 4 years ago, was in the local Speed Shop way up there in Nova Scotia, Canada. Hanging on the wall was a slightly dusty spoiler, the owner had in his stock for some time and didn't even have the Manufacturers' name.

Took it out and laid it on the trunk, and bought it. The foot contact points had to be built up to suit the Reatta's deck lid and that's it. Oh yes, the antenna interferes, bored a hole in the spoiler and fitted a sleeve to accomodate that. Just have to always remember to turn off the radio before popping the trunk. wink.gif

Ross: About your title photo: is this the car with spoiler that you sold, or do you still have it? If the latter, do you know the make of the wing? I've just ordered a Mustang GT spoiler ('94-'01) which I read somewhere will fit. I'm sure it will take some modification of the legs.

Someone asked how to enlarge the tiny title photos for better viewing. If you have AOL, right-click on the photo and add it to My Favorites. Then come back to My Favorites and click on Untitled. You'll have it full-sized.

Jerry

Guest Greg Ross

JJ,

You've got Betsy Blue confused with someone else, she's still mine and going on 6 years now. Sorry can't help with a Manufacturer reference on the Spoiler, that info wasn't available when I purchased 4 or so years ago. Somewhere here in the past 6 or 8 months there was a "Link" up to one or more Aftermarket Vendors, "Advancing Age and all" give me a 1/2 day and it'll come back to me! I'm quite sure. The Site I'm thinking of had a range of different widths available in a very similar style of Spoiler.

Like AOL, MSN "Right Click" will allow "Save for Favorites" as well to enlarge these "Thumbnails" Nice feature-thanks Robert! tongue.gif

Guest Reatta1

Don't know if the muffler is too low but I agree with Pogonuts about the wheels. Maybe I'm a purist in this respect, but I think tacking on aftermarket wheels and scoops and wings take away from the car being a Reatta. It's just not the original with that junk on it.

GMRoss: Sorry about the mix-up. There was a blue coupe on the Forum last year with a spoiler. It drew lots of questions, but the owner said it was on the car when bought and the car had since been sold. There was reference to early to mid-'90s Mustang GT spoilers fitting the Reatta. (I've just purchased one, and will report on it when it arrives.) The aftermarket company (www.spoilers.com) had a universal model listed for the Reatta but told me it had been discontinued. They suggested I try the Acura Legend spoiler, but they're bringing big bucks. The GT spoiler is an OEM take-off; I got it for $65, so it's not a budget-buster if it doesn't fit or can't be adapted. Stay tuned.

Jerry

Guest Reatta1

I don't dispute that the right spoiler doesn't look good. It just takes away from it being an original and a collector should be original. I don't recall there ever being a factory option for a spoiler. grin.gif

Guest Greg Ross

Reatta1,

Some of us are collectors and some of us are drivers and I happen to be one of the latter. Decided 5 years ago this car wasn't going to get collectable quickly and enjoy driving it too much. At 216,000 miles and counting, with the re-engine and manual transmission it will be just the way I want it. And be good for another 216, K

True, Buick never offered a Spoiler option, or a manual transmission option, or a V-8 option. They lost interest in promoting this Model and offered absolutely no options other then a Sunroof and power seat upgrade. I just picked up where they left off. wink.gif

And you did to it what they should have done, more power, (optional) 5 speed

and in my opinion a nice looking wing and exhuast! Fits the cars styling well.

Guest Reatta1

What kind of changes, if any, are you making in the power train besides the five speed? Are you having to build your five speed from scatch or adapting existing GM products. I am interested in the feasability of changing from sequential injection to tuned port. My dealer service dept., though very good and reputable, have not been a lot of help with information in that regard. I have a 93 Regal 3.8 with tuned port injection and it just blows the socks off the Reatta for 0 to 100. grin.gif I have nothing at all against out of sight enhancements, and I am a driver also, just not with the Reatta. wink.gif

Guest Greg Ross

3800 Series I "L" Engine ('91-'94)

Stock style Snakes Intake Manifold

and the later improved Exhaust Headers

Balanced Bottom end

Flywheel, crank and harmonic balancer

Balanced rods and pistons

Crane Cams custom cam grind

No EGR or Cat.

Massaged ECM PROM to hopefully evolve to updated Fuel/ Air tables

and a CAI

3.67 final drive ratio.

The transmission is a Getrag manufactured under license by GM in the Muncie, Ind. plant. Was offered in 91-93 Cutlass, Lumina and Grand Prix mated to the Dual OHC 3.4 L grin.gif

Its good to hear that you're going to improved headers. I've been reading more and more on cams and exhaust these days. Significant gains from the headers.. . and no cat. 0-60mph in 7 flat seems conservative. I think the car is more likely to do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.

Is there any concern about the tranny's durability?

Guest Greg Ross

Dale and BigStevie,

The Transmission should be pretty rugged, it stood up behind the 3.4 which was making something over 200hp.

Schedule wise, I've got the Sub-frame here now from Jim Finn to do the build-up on, Engine will be available back from the B & B rebuilder in about a week, then things can get serious. I'm guessing about a week of part-time to get the mods done on the sub-frame for engine/ tranny mounts. I've gotto build a bracket for the clutch master cylinder and the Pedal set is all ready to go in. "Grand PooBaa/ Former Senior Member Padgett" is making a PROM for me minus the tranny references/ EGR control to run this setup.

Should be able to Swap Sub-frame Assemblies in a Weekend and then a couple of days to rewire the engine.

I believe mid-November is a realistic Target. wink.gif

Just a bit of a niggle:

The original 231 was an "odd fire" v-6, the firing pulses were not evenly times and it did tend to vibrate. For the 1977 model year, a new crank was developed with offset journals to make the engine an "even fire".

Now an inline six is naturally balanced but a V-6 is not so for the 1988 model year a counterotating balance shaft was added to compensate for the tortional moments.

Guest Reatta1

What year is your Reatta? If 88 or 89 how are you adapting to the computer functions programmed into the crt display and related controls? Are they seperate from the engine control function, ie timing, advance, fuel mixture etc. I'm not interested in getting as drastic your project but would like to upgrade the injection system. smile.gif

Guest Greg Ross

Regarding the little Niggle,

Have I been escentially properly informed as to neutral balancing of the 3800? My understanding was that the (counter)balance Shaft was compensation for, you refer to it as compensation for the tortional moments. This is separate and apart from rotational balance about the crankshaft-Yes? Am I on the right track here?

I realize that it's probably unnecessary expense for an engine that will never see the [color:\\"red\\"] RED side of 6250 rpm but feel it will add to the durability of a rebuilt.

Reatta1;

This is an '88, complete with CRT diagnostics.

Strategy is that none of that function will be lost, the Reatta has several so-called computers (processors) communicating between one another. As I understand it the information available on the CRT where the engine controls are concerned is coming from the BCM-the central processor. It scans all the other modules and reports on their status. The info that comes thru diagnostics is coming from the ECM-engine control module. Many of the bits of info feeding into the ECM, eg, O2 sensor, crank sensor etc are interlinked. If certain presets are not met, then a "code" is set concerning the out-of-spec. condition.

This capability should not be affected by the modifications being made to the ECM PROM chip.

You'd mentioned something about modifying your Reatta to give it the performance of your '93 Regal (rocket) The engine I'm putting together should be very similar, if not identical to what's in your Regal, main external difference is the intake Manifold. Much longer runners to each cylinder but really no change fuel system wise. (unless you've got a GN engine hidden in that Sleeper.) wink.gif

Guest Reatta1

No GN in the Regal. Just one of those once in a blue moon cars that seems to perform better than average. Possibly because of how it was 'broken in'. My 66 LeSabre convert. was the same way. Used to dust Corvettes with it. It is in a long process of restoration. Have redone engine, transmission and some suspension and am currently working on interior. Hope it performs as well as it used to when all is done. I am keeping it strictly stock. Finances keep the pace pretty slow but hope to be done in a couple years. grin.gif

XvSlim, the wheels look great on the Reatta, 17" fills the wells up nicely. I think that will be the next investment!! What brand of wheels are they? Do they offer any other styles that'll fit the Reatta? I like yours but u already have them and I don't want my car to look like yours. Unique is where it's at!! smirk.gifsmirk.gifcool.gif