While my gas tank is out... (64 1st gen)

Wedgewood64

Hello all,

After determining that the no doubt original rubber hoses from the tank were leaking, I just dropped the tank, according to the procedures found on the Forum. Happily, straightforward operation, tho I still smell like gas. After doing this, I kind of realized that I didn't really need to take the tank out -- I could have just let the front end of it down, I think, and changed the hoses. Well, anyway. So it's out. Now, aside from taking on the Riviera Rattle problem (helpfully diagnosed on: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/211803-riviera-rattle-first-generation-cause-and-repair/?tab=comments#comment-1087545), should I do anything else now that it's out? my fuel gauge shows 1/4 when empty, and buries the needle when full: but do I really want to mess with that? Should I leave the nice yellow sender wire as is? And does all this moving around risk dislodging crap that will foul the filter? Any precautions on that front? Should I empty the bit of gas in there out?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick (ROA number ten thousand something)

8 hours ago, Wedgewood64 said:

Hello all,

After determining that the no doubt original rubber hoses from the tank were leaking, I just dropped the tank, according to the procedures found on the Forum. Happily, straightforward operation, tho I still smell like gas. After doing this, I kind of realized that I didn't really need to take the tank out -- I could have just let the front end of it down, I think, and changed the hoses. Well, anyway. So it's out. Now, aside from taking on the Riviera Rattle problem (helpfully diagnosed on: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/211803-riviera-rattle-first-generation-cause-and-repair/?tab=comments#comment-1087545), should I do anything else now that it's out? my fuel gauge shows 1/4 when empty, and buries the needle when full: but do I really want to mess with that? Should I leave the nice yellow sender wire as is? And does all this moving around risk dislodging crap that will foul the filter? Any precautions on that front? Should I empty the bit of gas in there out?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick (ROA number ten thousand something)

Nick,

I had my tank dropped last fall to cure the Riviera Rattle. For sure pull the sending unit, check the filter sock and clean out the tank. Here's a picture of what my filter sock looked like. Might be a good idea to redo the ground wire as well. 

Bill

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Bill, Ed, Jframe. I guess I'll venture into the tank, then.

Thanks Bill for reposting that picture of the ground wire set-up--I had seen it somewhere in the forum but then lost it. Those rubber insulators you added--not stock, right? What's the purpose? (Definitely need a ground with those, I guess).

nick

9 minutes ago, Wedgewood64 said:

Thanks Bill, Ed, Jframe. I guess I'll venture into the tank, then.

Thanks Bill for reposting that picture of the ground wire set-up--I had seen it somewhere in the forum but then lost it. Those rubber insulators you added--not stock, right? What's the purpose? (Definitely need a ground with those, I guess).

nick

Nick,

That is truck topper tape. It was added to create some space between my fuel tank and the trunk floor. Part of my rattle problem was things hitting/rubbing on the trunk floor. Scroll down from the beginning of the link you first posted. (I copied it here) You will find where I posted pictures that showed this and talked about the fixing of my rattle. 

Bill

pulled the sending unit: my strainer sock wasn't as beat as Bill's, but getting a new one from summit. Interesting objects rolling around in tank, turned out: a spring, a rivet...

Further question: the sending unit had a non-sealed cork gasket. Nice shape, totally reusable. But: to seal or not to seal? I noticed from stains on top of tank that it would appear gas got out.

thanks, nick

• 2 weeks later...

Success! Whole thing was easier than expected. I ended up simply cutting a new gasket and sealing it. Added the ground wire. And I bent the float arm up about 5/8 inch, which was a total guess but I ended up nailing it: when full, the needle now reads F and when empty, it reads E. I was surprised that the tank itself was so clean inside. I guess I was expecting 55 years of crud, but no.

The 5/16 strainer sock I ordered from Summit was too small--maybe there's a OD vs. ID problem. But I just drilled it out a bit and stuck it on. Fit well.

Worse part of the whole operation is definitely emptying the tank; but bleeding it out by jacking up the back and unhooking the hose behind the front wheel was easy enough. Did get a lot of gas down my sleeve...

• Like 1