Source for these small sheetmetal nuts?

lancemb

J-nuts. U-nuts. Aueveco was a supplier to the auto aftermarket trade.  

https://www.auveco.com/

If if they really are just flat (not J or U shaped when not rusted) tinnerman’s nuts..

pictures: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraft/hardware-fasteners/tinnerman-nuts.html

Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, local auto body store, Help section of FLAPS.  Friendly local auto parts store. 

• Like 2

Thanks for replies.  These are totally flat.

Now I know what to call them without sounding silly and can order them if not at parts store.  I didn't know if these were even likely to be at parts store and was going to just order them but I'll definitely just try to get them locally first.

They seem to have bunch of names. I've heard them called speed nuts, tinnerman nuts, clip nuts, push nuts, pal nuts, slip nuts and there's likely a bunch more as they come in a dizzying array of types and applications. I'm guessing you won't have any problem finding what you need. As an aside, any thing bought from an aircraft supplier is typically overly marked up......................Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

any thing bought from an aircraft supplier is typically overly marked up

to account for "aircraft duty" liability insurance. There is a long story of how a car part (fuel pump) was used in an aircraft (by the owner of the plane) and the manufacturer and supplier were both sued after the crash of the airplane.

I labeled the link "picture" and forgot to mention do not buy from them, look around for ground based supplier without insurance markup.....?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

to account for "aircraft duty" liability insurance

That, but to larger extent it's a function of providing and documenting the chain of quality control from material certification,  manufacturing inspections, custody chain of the parts,  installation and final sign off. Granted your Tinnerman nuts don't have that level of oversight but if it's associated with an aircraft supplier it sort of gets hit with the over spray.

The rough rule of thumb is if it's for a car, charge X, If it's for a boat add a zero, for an aircraft add 2 zeros..............Bob

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, old-tank said:

I have been know to be impatient  :o: punch a hole in some suitable material (usually use an old license plate) , start the sheet metal screw and install.

Yeah, that's how I repair my airplane but I do make sure I use an aluminum license plate. Can't be too careful.................Bob

• Haha 1