Late 1920s Rumble Seat Trunk Lid Chrysler Or?

junkmanjr

Here's a mystery rumble seat lid I picked up I've tried to figure out what it is and the closest thing I've come up with was a 1929 (might have been 1928 can't remember) Chrysler that was really close as far as the wood inner structure and handle hole main difference was the hinges that we're similar to this one. It's metal bent and nailed on to a wood inner. I really don't know what it is exactly not a Ford obviously I'm thinking Chrysler DeSoto Plymouth Dodge or Buick Cadillac LaSalle Pontiac Chevy REO Oldsmobile. Then again could be Packard or something obscure. Anyway really nice piece no rust out appears to be original paint. Maybe some minor pitting starting across the bottom area. Wood is in phenomenal shape and usable. Not beat up. Missing handle and latch. Measures 38.75 inches wide measuring straight across edge to edge (ignoring the curvature) it's approximately 31.5 as for measuring the length with the curvature I posted a pic of how I measured it and what the tape shows around 35 inches. If anyone can ID it you are welcome to let me know. $1000 obo. I would rather not ship it I'm in Knoxville TN but I can as long as you are paying for shipping.

Welcome to call or text me 865-755-3114 I work nights  (usually easier to reach me before noon or after 8p)

KIMG1404.JPG

KIMG1409.JPG

KIMG1410.JPG

KIMG1418.JPG

KIMG1407.JPG

Edited by junkmanjr (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, George Albright said:

Nice wall hanger piece but I hate to tell u it’s a $100 item. Sincerely George 

I really hate to differ on this, but these usually go for around $400.00-$500.00. The toughest parts to find on ANY coupe or roadster is the rumble seat lid and doors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Its not GM, as they use a ferrule female one hole for the deck lid handle, so that rules out chevy olds pont caddy lasalle buick, could be mopar  what is the two screw hole ctr to ctr dimension it will either be 1 3/8" 1 7/16" 1 1/2" 1 3/4" mopar is 1 1/2" and thats my input cheers, and good luck!

I have two mint business coupe deck lids for 1928-1931 GM but cannot nail it down best guess was olds, So George is correct to a degree the value is in the ID and Condition if both are known the worlds the limit to the guy who has nothing, but lack one and it sits like mine for another year maybe will bring to hershey again.  LOL 

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

During the war when they rationed gasoline a car could get 5 gallons per week,a truck 7 1/2 gallons.  That started the action of taking lids like yours off coupes and roadsters,throwing them in the dump,putting a pickup box in the back and calling it a truck to get more gas. There is a car,maybe ten of them,in barns,sheds,somewhere that needs your lid. It's unlikely the owners of them will see your ad here. If they drag grandpa's car out of the barn and decide to restore it and need a lid,ebay may be the first place they look. Maybe they have a lid but it's rusted out. I would list it there and keep it there on a good til canceled listing for $750. You can always come down. A friend has one of those rare 30 Dodge 8cyl coupes without a lid,he found one for $1000,with cushion, and he was so happy he jumped up and down for a week. If he had to have one made it could have run $2500 and up. Probably up. If you're in a hurry,you can always wholesale it to someone,that's my thoughts. Good luck with it anyway.

On ebay for $575

I think it is for a smaller less know brand because of the curve, smaller car tighter bend, large car more graceful bend.

Less known because of the all wood frame, most of the higher production builders went to steel frames in the late 20s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-29-Rumble-Seat-Trunk-Deck-Lid-Coupe-Roadster-Chrysler-Packard-LaSalle-27-30-/223098362734