1935-36 Borg electric jeweled clock - more info

kgm0612

Almost 100 of you viewed my original listing for this clock. Much appreciated.

I thought I'd give it a second try with more info: The movement is exactly the same as the one used on the 1935-36 Auburn. The diameter is two and one half inches. I tried matching the hand design with the instruments of dashboards from cars of that era to try ro get a clue. No matches.

Thanks again

Kevin

DSC08040.JPG

DSC08042.JPG

DSC08043.JPG

DSC08045.JPG

• Like 1

With the hand setting and speed controls on the rear, I don't think it is automotive. If it were, it would have to be mounted somewhere where the rear of the clock was accessible. Perhaps the rear compartment of a town car or something, but not in the dash.

That was one of my thoughts too, but you would have to lie on the floor to watch the hands as you set them.

But... I have a 1938 Studebaker glove box door clock and it is deep like that (and bigger) and the hand setting is in the back.

You are probably right I think.

Thanks for your insight.

The attached photos are of a similar movement installed in the glovebox of a 1936 Auburn. I asked the eBay seller of this clock for the dimensions. His response was "it fits the glovebox." I had to resort to the eyeball test.

The only differences I noticed were the face of course and the two parallel mounting posts (they are different heights) on the back of mine that would need to be mounted horizontally for the 12 to be at the top of the face. That may be help identify the application. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

As with most Borg clocks of this era, there is a unique serial number stamped on the back of the movement: 032614. A few years back I contacted the Borg Warner company and inquired if they had an historical department/files that would cross reference the serial numbers with the clock application. No luck.

The clock in post 7 is a late '36 Auburn with the smaller movement. These Borg clocks were used in Auburns '34-36. The only place they were fitted is the glove box door.  The clock in post 1 is not Auburn.

Clock orientation.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...