Surf City '38

Lost Topic - 1938 1/2t Engine Removal Project

Not dumb at all....very good question.

See the blue contraption in the center of the coil...sitting on my workbench.

It has a series of wheels inside, then I un-coil the pipe and feed it into the wheels...I attached a standard 3/8" ratchet and begin to feed the pipe in....comes out straight.

Here is a video...

And this is one that is handheld...

• Thanks 1

Can you post pictures and dimensions of your gas tank? Also the latching brackets for the hood on the body and rad support?

Thanks

Dave

Looking great👍 the lines do look a lot cleaner that way.

19 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

Anyone know who is doing skins?

Afraid not, I just straightened mine myself the best I could. but I'm doing more a "sympathetic" restoration. definitely not show quality.;) I think I read somebody  makes replacement skins too. forgot who who though.

9 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

Not dumb at all....very good question.

See the blue contraption in the center of the coil...sitting on my workbench.

It has a series of wheels inside, then I un-coil the pipe and feed it into the wheels...I attached a standard 3/8" ratchet and begin to feed the pipe in....comes out straight.

Here is a video...

Cool thanks, I learned something too. the only dumb questions are those that are not asked...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for that. I found a video showing a chap making one out of not much. Perhaps $30 total cost. The expensive part was the track rollers.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Can you post pictures and dimensions of your gas tank? Also the latching brackets for the hood on the body and rad support?

Thanks

Dave

Here are the tank shots....went by the paint shop and was in the booth...should be out by Wednesday, I will try to go by again later in the week for the latch shots...

Tank 2.jpg

Tank 1.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Thank you for that. I found a video showing a chap making one out of not much. Perhaps $30 total cost. The expensive part was the track rollers.

The trickiest part of the whole operation is getting the bends and planes correct...its all about orientation...in some of my shots you can see where I mark with dots the tops of pipe...this is to give the correct orientation in order to make the correct bend and plane. Planes can be off slightly and you're still able to correct, but bends...not so lucky, once bent there is no un-bending...I'd say in total time, for just the fuel line it took me about 1 1/2 hours....the rear lines that run across the rear axle, that took about 3 hours....

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 38rcdodge said:

Looking great👍 the lines do look a lot cleaner that way.

Afraid not, I just straightened mine myself the best I could. but I'm doing more a "sympathetic" restoration. definitely not show quality.;) I think I read somebody  makes replacement skins too. forgot who who though.

I found a fellow in NZ doing skins, but he does not return my email....so I'm still searching.

• Like 1

Yeah that's probably who I heard about, good luck in your search . are you planning to have the originals restored, or reproductions made?. 

2 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

Here are the tank shots....went by the paint shop and was in the booth...should be out by Wednesday, I will try to go by again later in the week for the latch shots...

Tank 2.jpg

Tank 1.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

Your the best!!!! Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

I found a fellow in NZ doing skins, but he does not return my email....so I'm still searching.

DavePatten? Yes, I found him uncommunicative. I think he is away a bit, doing something else. Try the phone, but remember the time zone!

In fact he'll make the whole thing, but correctness is up to the first person who wants them. The Dodge 8 ones are not quite right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 38rcdodge said:

Yeah that's probably who I heard about, good luck in your search . are you planning to have the originals restored, or reproductions made?. 

Prefer original restoration.

• Like 1

I am rebuilding a '38 Dodge RC Humpback Panel truck.  I really appreciate this presentation.  Are there are any others that you have available on your build?  Thank you for this effort.

9 hours ago, Dodgefran said:

I am rebuilding a '38 Dodge RC Humpback Panel truck.  I really appreciate this presentation.  Are there are any others that you have available on your build?  Thank you for this effort.

Hi Dodgefran, not sure what you're looking for in terms of other photos....I have several hundred and only post ones I feel nobody else has covered....let me know what you're looking for and I will pull it out of the library and post for you.

Good luck on your restoration!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, countrytravler said:

Also the latching brackets for the hood on the body and rad support?

Here you go Buddy, the catch for the rear are actually pockets, a hole in the front sheet metal with a rear sheet welded on, forming a pocket, the front is simple brackets bolted to the inner Radiator Shell Frame. I circled the Passenger side, simply look to the Driver side, same location to the get the shape....I have the refurbed brackets in one of the boxes and could not find it, so I used the disassembly shot....if he really needs a close up of the refurb'd part, I can look for it this weekend when I am back in the shop....

Let me know.

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_2060_LI.jpg

• Like 1

Had a bit of time this afternoon in the shop....so I installed the horn button.

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

• Like 1

Was working with the Heritage Group in Detroit last week, and they sent over the attached....when going back to standard from the factory, this is helpful. We are now trying to uncover the "Complete list of extra equipment and de luxe accessories available..."

Options.jpg

• Thanks 1

While working with them, we were looking at other build cards and were able to get closer on the options that came on "Ol' Betsy", here they are...

T. Lock = Theftproof Lock

R. Shocks = Rear Shocks

F. Shocks = Front Shocks

H.D. Cleaner = Heavy Duty Cleaner

C. ? Bumper = Chrome Bumper

• Thanks 1

Yes very cool and helpful info.👍 thanks. I look forward to sending away for the build card for mine. and learning what is factory. 😊  looks like " Ol' Betsy" is coming along nicely.;) is the grey her original color? 

1 hour ago, 38rcdodge said:

is the grey her original color? 

Best we can tell...color code on the build card was "4", which we could not track down, so the color analyzer did the best it could...we threw a bit of tint in it to get it close to some old photos we found. Interior is the standard battleship grey they all came with....

• Like 1

Nice. it looks good.  I read somewhere what colors were standard options, I think a grey was one of them, but not positive. of course someone could have ordered a custom color. mine was the Milori green I believe. I mixed my own, just using remaining original paint as a guide. got it somewhat close, but not perfect.

• Like 1