Surf City '38

Lost Topic - 1938 1/2t Engine Removal Project

Ok Folks finished up the master cylinder rebuild...Not much happening the rest of the summer, waiting for the engine blueprinting, vulcanized rubber, emblem rebuilds and of course the bed and cab...as soon as items come back, I will photo journal it. 

Still need to purchase running boards and a tailgate.

Big thanks out to Mark Wyman at Marksfinds4lessvintagecarpartsandmore.com by far the largest NOS catalog I could find...

Until then, enjoy the photos...

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

4 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

All the shiny pieces came back....some Nickle some Chrome

image.jpg

Just to inform....your bumper guards are upside-down.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Yep, wifey mocked it up, to see if we had any warping from the heat treatment during chroming.....girls !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johnworden1 said:

Thanks Alan. Concerning the 2 large openings in one of the panels, one square opening and one half oval opening, what do each of them provide clearance for? 

John

Memory may be coming back....one is for the exhaust the other is for the spare tire mount....

On 8/12/2018 at 5:30 PM, keiser31 said:

She aplogizes to the purest....

image.jpg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, vicpanza said:

The other hole, towards the front of the shield, is for clearance for the fuel pump.

Thanks Vic. I could not remember, and since I am still waiting for my engine to deliver from the shop, I would have eventually figured it out.

Looking good :) ... except for the cracked oil pump. odd it would crack there., it looks like its supported on each side, and shouldn't Even have much stress  in that area.

Newly vulcanized frame bumpers...even have the Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Desoto logo embossed and a part number, amazing job....

image.jpg

Its looking great:)  I'm actually surprised how nice your old water distribution tube is. in my case what was left  came out in about 3 pieces...  

17 minutes ago, 38rcdodge said:

Its looking great:)  I'm actually surprised how nice your old water distribution tube is. in my case what was left  came out in about 3 pieces...  

One piece, but with many holes.....all over the place....I will be so glad once i get the drive train in....all down hill after that.

Yup looking carefully I see the holes. still you're lucky it came out in one piece. getting the drive train in will be a big milestone for sure.   in my case I've actually not had the engine out or completely apart yet, it runs well enough, but will need rings at least  eventually I think. do you also still have the original engine? I think I can make out T58-XXXX.

29 minutes ago, 38rcdodge said:

do you also still have the original engine? I think I can make out T58-XXXX.

Yes this is the original engine from the build card, T58-1958, stamped just below the "Motor No." box below.

Capture.PNG

Awesome :) well worth the painstaking restoration then. I still need to send away for the build card, definitely will eventually. I have T58-19191 so much later.I see yours was built in October '37 . I've found casting dates of march '38 so seems about right .

Next step, press the new ring gear on to the flywheel....spin balance the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel, paint an alignment mark, disassemble and attach to the back of the crank shaft using my spare input shaft as an alignment tool, then ready to drop in the frame...

D139B247-54CA-427A-B70B-BEFB4634BC61.jpeg

• Like 1