Lost Topic - 1938 1/2t Engine Removal Project

Alan Cutler

1 hour ago, totolili said:

hi Alan,

my 38 has the splash guards and like you, one was bolted and one was rivetted. I don't have these engine guards and small center piece. Do you have a picture as where they go and what are the protecting? 

Thanks,

Anatole

Sure looking at the photo below, They all protect the engine from getting water splashed on it. The old timers would throw them away early, makes for servicing the engine a giant PIA!

1) Passenger side, Fender apron, riveted to the fender

2) Drivers side , Fender apron, riveted to the fender

3) Center Splash guard, bolts to No. 4 and No 5, sits under the front bottom crankshaft pully

4) Passenger side, Splash guard, bolts to the edge of the fender. Notice the holes for the fuel filter bowl and the exhaust pipe.

5) Driver side, splash guard, bolts to the edge of the fender (I think, memory is bad, will confirm)

image.jpg.1992a242610b549b93b7d77efbf163b8.jpg

Edited by Alan Cutler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, totolili said:

Hi Alan, 

I already have what they are selling (https://dcmclassics.com/brake-parts/237-da-140-brake-clutch-pedal-draft-seals-pair.html ) and they are showing a picture where it goes in, but the pedals are one piece and large. Do I make a small side cut? Thx

Screenshot_20230721_171637_Chrome.jpg

They stretch.....use a bit of clean vegetable oil or motor oil,  to lube it up. No cuts on mine! Can you take a picture of your pedals?

Edited by Alan Cutler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, totolili said:

hi Alan,

my 38 has the splash guards and like you, one was bolted and one was rivetted. I don't have these engine guards and small center piece. Do you have a picture as where they go and what are the protecting? 

Thanks,

Anatole

I may have the splash guards. I’ll take a look this weekend. Show pictures of your project please. We all love pictures.

thanks

Dave

IMG_3030.jpeg

I have another pair that I bought few years ago for my '41 that's needs restoration and they are more flexible and possibly if I oil them, I might be able to force it thru the pedals! These are for '29 thru 50s and my pedals look like yours and others on this forum or fb. 

20230722_113541.jpg

20230722_112756.jpg

14 hours ago, totolili said:

Here is one of the recent ones. The paint stripper melted the rivets and I lost the two brackets that held the headlights. Truck is being changed from light blue to mat green and black

20230710_205742.jpg

20230710_205731.jpg

20230710_205841.jpg

I may have the headlamp support brackets that go inside the grill.

let me know if you need them.

Thanks and if I knew about this forum before I built and mounted the headlights, I would have taken your offer.  Right now, two layers of 16g with the lower one held by the upper X nuts is really strong and in happy with it. This won't be a show truck and I'm just trying my best to bring it back to life and running.  I also had to make my own rubber seals/gaskets for both bracket and buckets.  They didn't have any and the ones sold online are for 36. I think they are nice and tight but I doubt if the truck will be exposed to much rain/water. Not too happy with the bucket ones but they are in and sealing and water.  I might go back with a hot iron and level the cuts and smooth them out20230722_121701.jpg.7b113c70b4fb9870ba4f160ae7d28aca.jpg

1 hour ago, totolili said:

I have another pair that I bought few years ago for my '41 that's needs restoration and they are more flexible and possibly if I oil them, I might be able to force it thru the pedals! These are for '29 thru 50s and my pedals look like yours and others on this forum or fb. 

20230722_113541.jpg

20230722_112756.jpg

Yep, exact same pedals, they will stretch, you will have no problem.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, totolili said:

Alan,

Where did you find the 2 rubber side cushions for the radiator mounts? Thx

Made my own, from old rubber floor mat material. Another option is below.

• Like 1