1925 Heat Riser Tube

dibarlaw

I finally got around to checking some of the components from the spare 1925 Standard engine we brought back from Louisville. Many things looked better than what was on my car. While my engine is being rebuilt I am getting the best of my spares together to go on it.

The heat riser looked to be very good except the inside chamber was coated with oily carbon. I cleaned out most using my friends Blast Cabinet. There was a hole in the center tube. Since this was my spare I thought I would try to press out the tube to replace. I made a driver/plug by turning a shoulder on a threaded pipe coupling and 1/2" black pipe. The tube pressed out easily with out distortion. Now to try to find anything close.

The measured sizes for the seamless tubing are  O.D. 1.3125,  wall thickness is about .032, X 5 29/32" long. I have spent some time looking at tubing and pipe suppliers with no success. So far looking under thin wall tubing most selections are for heavier walls at the 1.3125 O.D.

I know Mark Shaw was able to find tubing at a muffler shop to replace his in his 1924 Master. I have contacted every custom exhaust shop in the tristate area and no one carries anything smaller than 1.5" dia. exhaust pipe. I know this from trying to get the heat bypass tubes bent which are 1 1/4" O.D.

Any ideas on a supplier?

Hi Larry

McMaster Carr has 4130 steel tubing in lots of sizes. This is what I used for my 25 Master. Made a couple aluminum adaptors to fit the tube to chuck in the old South Bend. Interference fit to the tube and warm tube to insert adaptors. Turn to what you need for OD. I used .065 wall thickness. Warm tube again to get adators out. 

JimIMG_0233.JPG.661ff72fdbf8e702cd4d006837f6ffe0.JPGIMG_0234.JPG.6f9f6dc674bc913ac0ee809e5e3bba8e.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...