Water temperature gauge reducer

rawbbayce

Does anyone know where I can get a temperature gauge reducer for a 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe?  It screws into the head of the engine and the temp bulb screws into the reducer. 

Its also known as radameter gland nut- mopart part #50291

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

There is typically an assortment of the gland nuts in the package for an aftermarket "bubble pack" universal "mechanical" temperature gauges that you can get at your local auto supply. Last time I needed one for my Plymouth that is where I got it. I will admit that I was also buying it for the bulb and capillary which I grafted onto my original dash unit to restore it to functionality.

If you find an old style auto supply store that has been around a while, the one with the paper catalogs and reference materials in racks on the counter, they may have the correct gland nut on the shelf in the back. In which case you need not buy the whole aftermarket temperature gauge just for one fitting.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I did check those temp gauge packs at advanced auto. They all look too small. I never thought about having someone make one. 

I talked to hidden valley salvage. He thinks he has one. Fingers crossed. If he doesn't having one made might be my only option. 

21 minutes ago, JACK M said:

48 Chrysler.

Same?

I might be able to get it out with out hurting it.

Likely the same. That fitting was used on Plymouth from '31 through at least the '49 mentioned in the original post (my parts books are for Plymouth only and stop at '48). Give Chrysler's centralized engineering/design staff, that type of thing is usually common across all Mopar brands.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

48 Chrysler.

Same?

2018-03-30 46 Chrysler bus coupe 002.JPG

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

48 Chrysler.

Same?

2018-03-30 46 Chrysler bus coupe 002.JPG

Yes!!!!! That's it. I did confirm that that part was used in 31 through at least 55.  If you can get it out, let me know what you want for it. 

1 hour ago, Silverdome said:

I would think you could get that gland nut at a hardware store.

The inside of it has a seat that a flange on the bulb is pressed against to seal. So a straight reducer won't work.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rawbbayce said:

Yes!!!!! That's it. I did confirm that that part was used in 31 through at least 55.  If you can get it out, let me know what you want for it. 

•  

I will try and get it out today,

Tune in around this time tomorrow.

• Like 2