Touring car

DennyC

It could be an early Hupmobile. This photo is a 1915. 

Hupmobile Made the model N from 1915-17.   

They moved the steering wheel to the left side about this time.

The fender lights and rear view mirrors were aftermarket options. 

They also placed the "Hupmobile" script in the lower right radiator.  

Keiser31, in reference to this post, in your comment below.  Thanks, you are correct.

Hupmobile model N.jpg

Edited by huptoy
Correction of my post by Keiser31, thanks. (see edit history)

Huptoy,

Those Hupmobile radiator shells are not like the car in question. I thought so, too, with those high mounted headlamps.

The filler is also too short to be a Hupmobile.

It is very confusing looking pictures of Studes of that era. I think many are mislabelled. There were ongoing changes. The most significant was the 1914 cars had the gas filler on top of the cowl and had cowl lights. For the 1915 year they put the gas filler in the dash. In the middle of the 1916 year they moved the gas tank to the rear of the car. Also in 1916 was a change from a single bench front seat to separate seats. If the later 1920s car are anything to go by there were lots of detail changes though the production year as well.

One thing I noticed is the change from squared top corners of the windshield to rounded. Still not sure which is which.

I think the mystery car is the six cylinder model which has a longer hood.

September 1914 to May 1915 true 1915 model Studebaker six. The ED six came about June of 1915 and had a smoother flow from the hood to the cowl. The ED six (also the similar four) was also originally called the "1916 model," later known as the "series 16," and only manufactured from about June of '15 into December of '15.

In January of 1916, Studebaker sent letters to dealers and owners of of those "1916 model" cars saying they were to no longer be called "1916," but referred to by the new series designation (series 16. Otherwise, it would have been silly to have not manufactured any 1916 cars in 1916.

The series 17 was publicly introduced as the new model on December 28 of 1916 if I recall correctly.

Yes, Studebaker made it tough to keep track of their models during those years. But they are wonderful cars to own and drive.

Studebaker was also one of the few companies to actually install their script logo on the radiator in those mid-'10s years. Notice it in the OP photo. Many marques did so in earlier years. But they had become old fashioned by 1915, and few cars still had them from the factory. Those scripts show in much of Studebaker's original advertising during those years. I don't know exactly when Studebaker stopped doing so.

• Like 1