64 Special, not mine

NC-car-guy

I kind of like this one.  Plain, simple, good entry car for the hobby.  Pick it up for 2k, put a $500 Maaco paint job on it and cruise like hell.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/buick-special-1964-v8-classic/6559313655.html

Ad text:

Buick Special 1964 
-New tires
-73,000 ORIGINAL Miles
-Everything is original in this car - seats, carpets, everything
-Runs and drives. 
340-2 V8!!
in Charlotte
Call or text Daniel 704-620-5576

00606_1pM16DlT9lE_600x450.jpg

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

" Everything is original in this car - seats, carpets, everything
-Runs and drives.
340-2 V8!! "

Oops... 340 - 2  in 64?  Don't think so.

Nice catch,  what did that motor come in.

10 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

what did that motor come in.

The 340 was a 66- 67 engine.  Came in 2 and 4 bbl renditions.  It is a stout performer and very reliable.  Probably a bit better than the 300 which would have been in the car to begin with.  However even the 300 would have been better with a more performance oriented rear axle ratio. I'm not sure what was in the rear axle as standard in 64 but the few I drove lacked off line performance while delivering top notch gas mileage on the open road.  I'm guessing a 2.97 rear axle would have been a nice intermediate gear set to choose, if possible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beemon said:

The valve covers say 340-2, the air cleaner says Wildcat 310. It most likely had the Buick 300 engine originally but was swapped for the 340. Definitely not original, unless you can put 340 valve covers on a 300 V8.

The 340 is a stroked 300.  Probably lots of interchangability.

In '64 the 300 had aluminum heads and intake manifold along with a hot water choke.  All 1 year only  I suspect this one is a transplanted 340 although the 300 and 340 look similar.  As a note of interest I had a '65 300 4 barrel in a '65 Skylark.  I changed the rear end to a posi with 355 gearing.  That car had grunt!  The 300 V8 was a remarkable engine. My friends and I have resurrected some that others would have declared dead only to get several more years service from them. 

I'd also suspect the odometer claim on this one.  Young kids today forget that they turned over every 100K which doesn't give you a new car!

• Like 1