To MSD or not to MSD ?. That is the question.

Old Man Jimbo

I have been looking into new coil packs for my 89 and thought NGK packs for a 91 maybe the hot tip although there could be a possibility that the NGK could be a typical OEM coil with their name on them so I don't care to be duped by a name.

Am I looking for problems with the MSD as far as the computer goes and if not a problem what all should I buy to have the optimum ignition system ?.

11 hours ago, Old Man Jimbo said:

I have been looking into new coil packs for my 89 and thought NGK packs for a 91

Coils for a '91 won't fit an '89 Reatta unless you also change the Ignition Control Module (ICM) to the '91 as well. Upgrading to the '91 ignition system is a good idea if you are having a problem with the '89 ignition because the '91 ICM isn't as prone to failure and it has a little hotter spark. I see no advantage to putting MSD coils on a stock engine. The 3800 is a low compression, low RPM, engine. If you are going to hot rod a 3800 the coils will be the least of your problems.

Good answer. Then I think I will go with the 91 NGK coils . Now , where should I look for the 91 ICM and not get ripped off. I am not doing this for anything other than the confidence that my ignition is better than OEM. Ut's an OCD thing ( obsessive compulsive disorder that I live with and like )

Ronnie that looks like a Magnavox (88-90) ICM. Think you want this one.. Not sure if AC Delco or Dephi are owned by GM any more.

Best deal is to find a whole system at a recycling center, that way you get the plate, ICM, and coils. Last one I bought looked new and was $40.

28 minutes ago, padgett said:

Ronnie that looks like a Magnavox (88-90) ICM. Think you want this one.. Not sure if AC Delco or Dephi are owned by GM any more.

Best deal is to find a whole system at a recycling center, that way you get the plate, ICM, and coils. Last one I bought looked new and was $40.

You are correct. Thank you for catching that mistake. I thought I was linking to the  Delphi DS1004 1991 Ignition Control Module  but somehow I screwed up. I should have paid more attention.  I agree that used is the best way to go if you want to change to the '91 ignition system but from what I'm reading Jimbo wants all new parts so he doesn't have to worry about his used parts failing.

Sorry for the mistake on the ICM part number Jimbo....

• Like 1

I decided to make a derision and move on to next. I thought it would be good to buy from the Reatta store ( Delphi DS1004 ICM ) because it is the right thing to do :) .

When I went to the Reatta store I see " Buy now at Amazon " so I am assuming that it would still profit the Reatta store ? ( I am for the most part addicted to Amazon ).

I see that I can also buy the Delphi GN 10123 coils there.

on Amazon.

My only question here is about the differing wiring. The 89 has 6 connections , 3 on a side , and the Delphi has 3 pairs of 2.

Is this rocket science as far as getting it right and will I have to modify my base on the 89 to accommodate the 91 coils and ICM ?.

Ok, here's the rundown.

1. 88-90 style coil pack (Magnavox type, configured as one unit containing all three coils) cannot be used with the 91 ICM, and the 91 style coils (Delco, configured as 3 separate coil packs with two outputs each) cannot be used with the 88-90 style ICM. A complete ignition setup -  ICM and coils - must be comprised entirely of parts from either the Maganox or Delco design, no hybrid of these two setups is possible.

2. In order to install a 91 (Delco design) ignition on an 88-90 Reatta  (which had the Magnavox design from the facrory) the addition of a mounting plate, three square head bolts to mount the plate (though some have found suitable non-factory hardware for these bolts) and the six long metric head machine bolts to mount the coil packs through the ICM onto the mounting plate are all required.

The plate, square bolts and six long metric coil mounting bolts are all dealer parts, or can be scavenged from a salvage yard car equipped with the Delco design ignition. The latter option, of course, is going to be less costly than buying new parts at the dealer. This plate is required for mounting tbe 91 style ICM and coils as the 88-90 Magnavox ICM had its three mounting studs integral to the module, while the 91 Delco ICM  does not have these studs. 

For easy visual identification,  The Magnavox setup has the rectangular coils all as one unit with the output "towers" on opposite sides (3 per). The Delco coils are "rounded" on top, and have all output connections on the same side.

Part of the confusion is that Delco sells both designs of the ICM and coils types as ACDelco branded parts now, and a smattering of aftermarket versions of each are also available. MSD only makes replacments for the 91 style so far as I'm aware. FYI,  Magnavox was the original supplier of the 88-90 design ICM and coil assembly,  which is why I refer to it as such above, and why it's still commonly referred to by others here as the Magnavox (or occasionally  "Maggie") ignition.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

You will also need an Ignition Coil Mounting Bracket and screws. the ICM and coils mount to the plate and then the plate is mounted to the engine The photo below shows how it all goes together.  For some reason the new mounting bracket doesn't come tapped for the screws but I'm sure you are capable of doing that without any problems. I have added the Delphi coils to the Reatta Store.  If you start out in the Reatta Store first, I get credit for any products you buy on Amazon that day. Thanks!

The wires will work. They just need to be routed differently.

SAM_0558-2.JPG

I bought my Delco system used. Everything was bolted together so I didn't get a look at the parts separately. When I look at the new mounting bracket it appears special bolts may be needed to bolt it to the engine. Maybe a square head instead of a hex. Does anybody know?

41Ko5Y4138L.01_SL500_.jpg

+1 with Harry - a good used one from the recycling center (Yard de Junque) will have all of the parts and hardware (including the flat square headed bolts) you need and make good spares for your new parts (have had a couple of coils fail).

ps in the picture the one with the yellow arrow in the middle behind the bolt is a real bear to get in and out. I have been just using the two end bolts for over a decade with no problems.

Thank you guys for all of the input . I have officially ordered the complete Delphi ignition system coils,ICM,and base from Amazon through The Reatta Store .

Now onto those adjustable coilovers for the front that I have figured out how to install ;)

Justa nuther chapter .....................

7 hours ago, Old Man Jimbo said:

Thank you guys for all of the input . I have officially ordered the complete Delphi ignition system coils,ICM,and base from Amazon through The Reatta Store .

That will be a good upgrade for your ignition system. I recommend numbering the spark plug wired before you remove them from the old coils. Thank you for using the Reatta Store.

You were lucky to find those bolts at that price. You better grab them while you can. I didn't put them in the Reatta Store because they would have been over $12 each and I thought that was ridiculous.  I only put items in the Reatta Store that I think are good quality at a reasonable price.

Ronnie, how about you go ahead and order a bunch I think they have 10 available and I will order three from you and then you will have some at your store. I did not order them last night because it would not allow me to change the quantity from 10 to 3 but when I get home tonight after work I will probably just get 10 if you haven’t already gotten them all .  They also at rock auto have the long bolts they were like three dollars and some odd cents and they have the seal/gasket for the ICM connection .  I just googled google images 1991 Buick Reatta ignition system and the article from the Buick Reatta for him came up and I took those numbers and enter them in at rock auto and that’s how I found them. Please let me know before this evening or I will just order them all if I cannot change the number quantity .

Thanks for the tip. The  parts in the Reatta Store are shipped and sold by Amazon so they have to come from Amazon. Amazon has the bolts but they are about $12 each. Not many people would buy those bolts new even at $2 because they get them when they get a complete used Delco ignition system. Thanks again.

Ronnie, I have a question. I was able to order the square head bolts even though I had to order 10 of them because they came in packs of 10 and I ordered the rubber seal/gasket for the ICM connection but I did not order the six bolts to hold the coil downMy question is I would prefer to put like a Screw/allen head Screw in place of the original equipment. Do you see a problem with doing that?

I believe the square bolts with the thin flat heads will be needed so the bottom of the ICM won't touch the heads.  Also the square heads are made to fit in the recess of the mounting plat to keep them from turning when you tighten the nuts that screw on them if you install the plate, ICM and coils assembled as a unit. Installing all of them as a single unit is the way most people install them on the engine. You might could get by with something different but I would stick with the stock bolts. I don't see anything to gain by using other bolts.

I believe you misunderstood me I am not talking about the square bolts I have those coming my way. I am talking about the six screws/bolts that hold the coils down I did not order them because I had to order a pack of 10 it like 395 each so I am thinking I can order some hex head cap screws excuse me I mean go to the hardware store and get the hex head cap screws and use them with the proper length .  I understand that those three square are a Necessity but as I said I am talking about the six  that hold the coil through the ICM through the base plate.

I can’t help myself. I have been wanting to re invent the tire for years.

Sorry, I did misunderstand you. I need to read a little closer. :) I think you can use about any screw you want to hold the coils on as long as they will fit. One ex-forum member said he used self tapping screws to hold them on. Although that would work I would tap the holes in the aluminum and find some screws that are the correct length.

• Like 1