HELP With 1955 Nash Ambassador Custom

kbyrd5597

Well , X and Bloo , my esteemed fellow Northwesterners : if you were as old as I am , you would remember how much the girls liked the guys who had those "Bathtubs" ! I had a Peugeot 403 with that convenient feature. We enjoyed it very much.    - CC 

• Haha 1

From my personal experience, the Nash would be just fine in original condition. About the only modification I can think of that would be a real improvement would be window defoggers all the way around. Especially if you put those fold down seats to use.

Oh, parts for that Packard V8 engine are at a bit of a premium. I had one rebuilt around ten years ago and I remember rod bearings going for something like $50-75 per rod. That might seem expensive, but cutting all the original stuff out and making all those modifications will make the cost of rod bearings look cheap.

It might be better to find a '94 to '96 Buick Roadmaster and put the Nash grille in it. Maybe a '92 Caprice.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a clear explanation of the Nash torque tube drive on www.NashRamblerRubber.com . They make the torque tube trunnion for Nash Ambassador, Nash Healey, Hudson Hornet and AMC Rambler. Go to "trunnion info instructions" or trunnion pictures. Using the original drive train and new trunnion is easy and inexpensive compared to extensive modifications. Done right the car is a great driver.

• Like 2

X : I see you asking after Charlie Three , up in response 43. Charlie Three became Charleen. She gave the boot to Charlie Two. Charlie One and Charleen are still an item , doing well. Not quite sure how comfortable I am about all of this , but I guess it is none of my business. Sorry. I thought you had heard.    - CC 

Edited by C Carl
Urk ! (see edit history)

Just to be clear, the "54 Hudson was still built by Hudson. It was Hudson's desperate attempt to update the distinctive, but by that point, dated "Step Down" body.  My older brother owned bath tub Nashes when were teens. He was voted "Wolf of the Year" in high school and perhaps he thought that these traveling beds were in keeping with his image.  I can recall riding with him many times in any one of his several Nashes. We lived on a corner lot and I recall like it was yesterday getting in the passenger side of his car, his riding thirty, or so, feet and turning right onto the street in front of our house.. A person doesn't pick up much speed traveling that short distance, but it always amazed and amused me that his Nashes rolled so much in that slow speed turn that I, in the right hand seat, ended up sitting way above him for a brief moment in the middle of the turn. I would have loved to see Tom Mc Cahill race a Nash. Rusty, I doubt if the sway bar has been invented that would keep one of those cars where the driver wanted it to be. I have to think that the other drivers would have seen the Nashes as liabilities out on the track. On the other hand, the Pininfarina styling touches were sort of neat. I've always liked the two-toning on the Ambassador Custom models like the OP has.  

File:1955 Nash Ambassador Custom sedan six-cylinder LeMans sedan at 2015 AACA Eastern Regional Fall Meet 01of17.jpg

Nash Statesman Custom 1955– wallpapers (1024 x 768)

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

On March 17, 2018 at 7:11 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Glad to hear they are doing well, In regards to your feelings on the issue. It is all part of growing/maturing as a person. The fact that you are willing to share your thoughts/feelings with all of us, is a step in the right direction to becoming a better you.  

Hi X ! That is extremely well stated. Thank you ! And SERIOUSLY , it is one of the pleasures of having been lucky enough to reach old age , to realize that the maturing process is still available. NONE of us mortals is perfect , therefore BETTERMENT should be a constant process. The world we old folk grew up in was a very different one than the present. Hard to adjust to at times. But as I say , some things are not any of our business , personally , collectively , or nationally. I try not to have an opinion on EVERY SINGLE THING. With everything most of us ailing oldsters have to deal with , it should not be necessary for us to try to manage other people's lives. I must admit , though , that some things just don't compute easily.      Sunday Sermon , the day after St. Patrick's , 2018.       - C Carl 

• Like 1