Looking for dad's Buick Truck

ted1922

Back in 1970 or 71 my dad own a 1922 Buick delivery truck.

He sold to a lady , in the Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley area.

Now I am sorry to say this truck was not stock,  in the 60's a chevy 4 cylinder engine and automatic trans  was installed and hyd brakes.

A this time I do not know if this truck is still in southern California.

If anybody has any information send me a note'

Thanks

b-4.jpg

Speaking from personal experience, when trying to reacquire a family vehicle after it was sold can be a difficult daunting and expensive proposition.

There might be many vehicles that fit the description of Buick truck, but none will fulfill the feeling of sitting in the same seat, grasping the same shift lever, and using the same steering wheel as a family member did in the past.

Best of luck in your quest Ted, I hope you find your dad's Buick! 

I know some chevy and dodges look the same back than,but this was a Buick .

and this Buick was not stock ,

there was one Buick truck sold about a year a go I tinck at BJ  

When was the last time you saw an Buick Truck?

Ted,  have you checked out the 1922 Buick truck at the The Sapulpa Historical Society 
in Sapulpa, OK?   Looks pretty close to your dad's truck.  A lot can change in 50 years.  

http://www.sapulpahistoricalsociety.com/volunteers.shtml

Check out the bracing at the back end of the truck.

Image1.jpg

5802178763_2759605714_b.jpg

Edited by bobj49f2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

IMO, the bracing at the top back of the truck is standard factory.  Also, no bracket on the front fender and the rear fender to the side board of the body like in the green truck. Wire wheels vs wood wheels.  Wood would be standard.   Two different trucks.

I have seen the Sapulpa truck and it is a cool truck.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In 50 years a lot could have been changed on the truck.  Maybe the truck wasn't very original in 1970 and I'd bet no matter where it is now it probably doesn't look now like what it did back then.  I'm not saying the trucks are the same truck but I would think within the last 50 years it most likely was torn down and redone.  If it's still around I'd bet it doesn't look much like it did 50 years ago especially if it was bought by a person or place, like a museum, who would want to get it back to as close to factory specs as possible.

I would suggest calling the museum and asking what they know of the history of the truck and what it looked like when they got it and what has been done to it.  I'd be real curious.

I am quite sure that it is not the same truck.  About 99% because I have seen the Oklahoma truck and it is original IMO.  It would be a good reference vehicle if you are going to rebuild the Dad's truck to original.  Plus the cost to get it back to original would far exceed the value of the truck. The only way to get there would be to find a car chassis with all of the pieces and put the body on the car chassis.  Just my thoughts.

I was very curious to see if the museum truck could be the same truck, how many 1922 Buick truck would have been made?  I got a very nice reply back from the museum:  

The Buick truck we have
has spent it's entire life in Sapulpa. It was purchased February 23,
1923 by G.H. Thompson from C.B. Box, a Cadillac and Buick dealer here in
Sapulpa and was used first to deliver produce. It cost $877.00 and the
memo on the check used to purchase it says 'payment in full for Buick
Del Truck'. The vin number, if that is something that will help you is
234SD. It was donated to the historical society and restored by some of
our talented volunteers in 1996. We have been told by a Buick official,
though we got nothing in writing from him, that it is one of about 20 of
it's type still existing in the US. I hope this answers your questions
but if not, write back and I will try to respond in a more timely
manner. Because the purchase was in 1923 and it is a 1922 model, I guess
it is possible that this was not the first owner and the original owner
converted it, but I have nothing to suggest that or any proof that it is
even possible, especially after the man from Detroit told us it was
rare.

Mike Jeffries

Sapulpa Historical Society/Museum
100 East Lee Avenue
Sapulpa, OK 74066

918-224-4871

www.sapulpahistoricalsociety.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobj49f2 said:

I was very curious to see if the museum truck could be the same truck, how many 1922 Buick truck would have been made?  I got a very nice reply back from the museum:  

In 1922 they made 399 Model 4SD trucks.  The serial numbers were between 832675-833074/

What they referred to as VIN is the model number and 23 4SD implies it is a 1923. 

Frame and engine numbers might verify. 

Sapulpa could be on on the way to / from the 2019 meet for me. Perhaps I should work on my 1923 and haul it down. It would be a neat photo opportunity even though mine isn't a genuine 4SD. 

55 minutes ago, Thriller said:

What they referred to as VIN is the model number and 23 4SD implies it is a 1923. 

Frame and engine numbers might verify. 

Sapulpa could be on on the way to / from the 2019 meet for me. Perhaps I should work on my 1923 and haul it down. It would be a neat photo opportunity even though mine isn't a genuine 4SD. 

From the production records, the trucks in 1922 & 1923 were all designated as a model 4SD with the 4 meaning a 4 cylinder engine and I believe SD meant Special Delivery. 

Buick only made 4 cylinder trucks from 1911 - 1923 and before 1910 for the Model F delivery car (+- 1908) and the 1910 Model 2A which was built off the Model F chassis.

If you would want the serial/frame numbers for the 1923 trucks, I could post them for you if you want.  In 1922 all the trucks were in one serial number range.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for getting that information form Sapulpa .

My under standing about the year of the vehicle; I was told back then the year the vehicle was sold is what they put on the reg papers, so vehicle was a 1923 but was sold in 1922 .

If the vin# plate is behind left front wheel out side of frame its a 1923 - 1922 and early it was on the back cross menber.

5 hours ago, ted1922 said:

Thank you for getting that information form Sapulpa .

My under standing about the year of the vehicle; I was told back then the year the vehicle was sold is what they put on the reg papers, so vehicle was a 1923 but was sold in 1922 .

If the vin# plate is behind left front wheel out side of frame its a 1923 - 1922 and early it was on the back cross menber.

If you can find the number, I can tell you the model year of the truck.

My 1918 truck was originally titled as a 1917 because that is when it was sold.  By the VIN#, it was a very early vehicle in the model year.  I would guess that it was made in Sept, 1917.  I had the title corrected to a 1918 because that is what it is.