SAD NEWS - PASSING OF LLOYD YOUNG - CANAL-WINCHESTER, OHIO

Marty Roth

You likely knew, or knew of Shirley Young, and hopefully had the chance to know her husband Lloyd.

Lloyd Young of Canal-Winchester, Ohio, husband of AACA Tour-driver and Judge Shirley Young died this morning.  He had not been well for a while.  Lloyd was found dead in his yard this morning.  I've heard 2 different stories.  He may have slipped on ice and hit his head or had a heart attack.

Please pass the information on to those in AACA who might know him. 

Lloyd was my long-time friend, an amazing mechanic and pilot, but was more recently probably best known for restoring, modifying, and installing Overdrive units for our vintage vehicles.
Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Lloyd Young was a great guy. Myself and my 2 boys went to see him in early November . He rebuilt the overdrive in my 31 Franklin.  We got there after dark but he took the overdrive in his garage and started working on it. He wanted to check a couple things . He then asked if we wanted to see his cars. We always want to see cars. What a collection!!!!  He has some very rare stuff. He had said he was going to have an auction in August of this year. I don't know if that will come about or not . We stayed for hours. We then went into his house and he talked about his life.  My two boys were glued to his every word. What a good person.  I am glad I took the trip out there . Two weeks later had the overdrive back. I think he had some help doing them but he knew them inside and out.  Rest in peace Lloyd . The hobby just lost a very important part of it . Jim 

• Like 2

Marty : i just notice your post now  after i posted one myself . I heard the news from MTFCA members . 

Thanks for posting Marty . Never met him but spoke a few times over the phone . Another big lost for all of us .

Prayers to the family ! God bless him !

• Like 1

Lloyd was one of the real "great guys" in the old car hobby. I was on a few Glidden Tours with Lloyd over the years. He was always volunteering his services and helping people fix their cars and getting them back on the tour. He was a "true" mechanic that understood old cars and knew how to easily fix them. He was a dedicated hobbyist and always promoted the hobby by sharing his cars and knowledge with others. His overdrives have been installed into cars that have toured all over the world. He will be remembered by many. Happy Motoring, Lloyd. We will miss you.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1