Recent Noted Riviera eBay sales

Chimera

It will be interesting to see if any of these "Sold" cars end up getting relisted due to the sale not being completed by the buyer.

I don't have stats but it appears a fair number of "Sold" Ebay listed cars are relisted for one reason or another, often several times before the deal is finally consummated. (so to speak)

Rivieras have always been a car with long term ownership. In my area the purchasers who bought them new were not selling until the cars were 10-15 years old or they were rusted and worn out. The buyers of a lot of those cars in the 1970's already recognized the collector value just based on style and durability. Ten to fifteen years ago many were not on the market and still in the hands of second owners.

I see a lot of refreshed cars and a mix of original showing up. Owners are getting old and parting with them. Some value arises from their iconic reputation and the lack of availability. Their value is in being keepers.

I know half a half dozen first generation owners in a short radius of me that have their cars 30+ years. This spring marks 40 years for me and mine.

It is kind of similar to my neighborhood. We moved in at a time of transition as the 60-80 group moved out and the 30-40 moved in. Custodianship marches on.

Cars with high turnover of owners aren't as noteworthy because the same increases in value have been seen incrementally. Cars like the Riviera are the hidden secrets. When I bought mine well worn ones were showing up on used car lots in the $500 range. A nice one was $1,000. I paid either $1900 or $2100 for mine and the experts laughed at me. I checked one of those income calculators and in today's money I paid about $12,000 post tax, so I would have to earn about $16,000 to buy the equivalent today. Today, when a big national issue is raising a family on minimum wage, what a change in 40 years.

A 30 year old's driveway was different then. The red one was the daily driver, in summer.

001.jpg.a223e12c571e51a2b1a4deae71a23089.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1