FOR 1931 60 SERIES:

autodeco57

Anyone have a spare shackle for the front spring rearward end for a '31 series 60? I'm about to start the process of getting a replacement made, but it would sure be nice to find an original. Also, I need one good wire wheel hubcap for the same car.

Steve Gorthy BCA 44510

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

Pete, I think the '32's are smaller, though they look the same. The 60, 80, and 90's from '31 measure just under 9" diameter for a fit in an 8 1/2" opening. I believe the '32's are about 8" across for a correspondingly smaller wheel opening. I'd love to find out I'm wrong and that the two years are interchangeable, though. 

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

I think you’ll find the the “B” on the 32 caps are different than the 30 and 31 caps as well. The cap in the picture is correct for the 30 and 31.

Also I believe the smaller diameter caps are for the smaller series cars. The diameter for the 31 and 32 big series cars are the same though I can’t remember what it is.

Chuck

I will say that I probably have the shackle in my garage in New York, but currently I am in Florida and will be here for about three more months.  If you are not in a hurry, send me a note at j.opp47@yahoo.com in mid April and I will let you know.  Also, there is a small foundry in my home town up there and they can cast replicas in iron and do small piece parts for me on a regular basis.  So if I don't have one it can certainly be made for you.  

FYI for anyone facing a similar dilemma, I discovered a custom shackle fabricator called 4Crawler Offroad that offers shackles by dimension with the capability of bending the side plates into a pretty convincing version of the original forging. I'll post how it comes out...

I might be to late to help you. I should have a extra one from 1931 80-90 big series. Should be the same as the 1930 60 series (big series). I needed one for my 1930 60 series and spent a lot to got a good used one. They look to be made by forging with would be a lot stronger then a cast or steel one. If you still are looking for an original one , let me know and I will need to look at my spare parts.

Steve

Thanks for the input, but the shackles seem to be one of the things that are different between the '31 60's and 80's. I have an 80 also from '31, and it has bigger shackles and pins. If what you measure has 9/16" bolts, though, on 3 1/2" centers and a quarter inch offset on each shackle half, they should fit. 

Steve G.