1935 Hupmobile J-521 value?

flackmaster

I know nothing about Hupmobiles.  That said, I am trying to assist a friend in valuing a '35 Hupmobile J-521 sedan.   Sorry, no pictures.  Last tagged in 1986, sitting since.  Likely a very original car -  indoor stored in dry dry southern california.  exterior paint was good, now tired from the years, the inevitable scrapes in a tight garage, etc..  Chrome and trim maybe a little better than expected.  Mechanical completely unknown - certainly would need the usual to get it back running/driving.  Couple of flat tires and the requisite layer of dust. seats are out as the task of headliner and  new glass was abandoned for other priorities/projects.  Loved, but neglected.  Any idea what the market range might be?  Its a cool looking car, but is there a market....?

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Your behind in your description.  Photos help.

Try going to a book store and purchasing the “Old Car Price Guide”.  They will have an estimated value based on how you define your cars condition.

As a test, compare the books calculated value of your own cars known value.

Total production on thls Model was  2,488.  2264 on the  1934 and  224 on the  1935. . The  1935  being  more desirable   because  of the  low  production.  Raymond  Loewy who  designed  this car  was  also  a member  of the  Hupmobile  Club.

Hupp 001.jpg

Loewy 001.jpg

Loewy 1 001.jpg

Thank you Gentlemen - Very very helpful.  First, based on the spotters guide, must be a 421 based on the grille. There is a restored 521 on ebait right now at 12.5K.  Bonhams auction results list 2 521's in the last 5 years at 11.5 and 9K.    Poor pictures attached if it helps...Again, thank you for your insights.

IMG_8253.JPG

IMG_8250.JPG

IMG_8258.JPG

IMG_8248.JPG

If  you  lift the  passenger side  of the  hood,  look on the  firewall  about 8in.  down  and  12in.  in. You  will  see a  tag  that  starts with  a J and  5  numbers .  The  serial # will  tell  what  year  the  car  is. I  do  not  see the  bumpers  in the  pic.  If  you  do  not  have  them,  you  will  a  tough  time  finding  the  correct ones. Plus  side its a  deluxe model,  Factory  installed  radio,  dual  tail  lights. This  will  make  someone  a  fine  car.  I only  pray that it  stays  original.

• 2 years later...

Only change since original post is a bit more dust.  Now seriously looking to sell.  Only updated comment from the owners wife is it was a good running, fun car when last driven, decades ago... Updated comments on value or interest in buying welcome. I will put seriously interested parties in touch with "the wife", my only involvement is to counsel as to value. 

If the  serial  #  proves  out  to  be  a 1935,  they  only  made 224 in  3  body  styles, a coupe, 2  dr.  sedan  and  a 4 dr.  sedan. Not  a  lot  of  people  know  this  but  Hupmobile  made  a  lot  of  great  cars. My 1936  Model N  is  a  great  road  car. It  has  an  over drive  factory installed  and  will run 60  to  70  miles  an  hour  with  no  strain on  the  engine

I  just  caught  a peek of the  speedometer and it  looks  like 38,9?? miles. The  paint on the  car is  called  Clay  Rust which  was  a factory  color. I  would  love to  look  that  car  over  as it  could  have  the  original  paint.

Hello,

I had sent you a message about this car a few days ago.  I'm wondering about the bumpers etc and what the asking price may be.  

I am going to suggest a price of $6,000.  The real problem is extraction of a non-running car from a garage where there are two more non-runners outside.  Just sending a shipping company to pick up ain't gonna happen.  Location is Corona, CA, so its one of those situations where a group of friends will really be necessary.  

Typical long story of owner aging out, too many cars, too little time, grumpy old man, etc.       

• 1 year later...

flackmaster:

It's been about a year since the last post. What was the outcome for this aerodynamic Hupmobile in southern California?  Were you able to confirm the year and model?  I know this was originally listed as a 1935 521-J (6-cylinder, 121 inch wheelbase), but looking at the pictures I might have guessed it to be a 1934 427-T (8-cylinder, 127.5 inch wheelbase) based upon the vertical bars in the grille and the vent door on the side of the hood.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I talked to you quite a while ago, anything ever happen with it?     

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...