Front Fender Moulding Clips

Beemon

I've been driving two years now with the front of my passenger side sweep spear in the closet and I'd like to put it back on. The only issue is that only 2 clips partially survived.. I checked the body service manual and it didn't seem to indicate which clips are used where and what size. Does anyone have some written information on this? I'd like to put my car back to 100% completion for my birthday. Thanks guys!

yGacm.jpg

Edit: I should have mentioned that I did a search beforehand and have saved the pictures of the different clips, but it seems no one has had this information on them from 2007 to 2015 so I thought I'd feel out to see if anyone actually has saved their invoices. Not looking for "just measure and buy them" responses but I'll probably get them anyways.

EditEdit: I found this old picture I took of the 2 surviving trim pieces. One looks like it might be the generic 1" molding clip and the other looks almost like 1 3/4 inches.

10537430_10153040004635830_6201498689563

It looks like this and this. Feel kind of silly asking now, but maybe we can compile a database of trim clips? Seems to be a lot of questions on this subject with no answers.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Beemon said:

"just measure and buy them"

Yup, I know that's just what you didn't want to hear but that's the BEST way to proceed.  No need to over think this one.  Clip sizing is a pretty much "close enough"  kind of deal in that they self center in the trim strip. Restoration Specialties catalog shows them in actual size and makes it easy to select.

On my 55 there were no useful clips out of I think 52 or so required. I ordered from RS and pretty much all of the various sizes did the job just fine............Bob

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Just use this guideline: The clip has to be longer than the width of the molding.

And narrower than than the back side opening. I think I used maybe four or five sizes to do the whole 55 and 57.............Bob

Everyone is giving good advice and info. Auveco makes the clips. When I bought I got full boxes of the ones I would use the most of. 

Yes, compare the sizes to the trim at the locations of the holes in the fender.  I see no advantage using old clips even if they are usable. 

I worked for GM in the early '70 and believe it or not there were things such as this that were "choose what fits best" when the first couple cars went down the line at model changeover. 

They sent one of the new models along with with the old about a month before they quit building the old so they could make sure things went together correctly. 

Things sometimes changed mid mid year too. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Guess and check is expensive, and generic bulk boxes are three to four times more expensive than buying what you need. I'm going to take it upon myself to document what exactly, at least a 2 door hard top needs so you can order the 50 or so clips and spend $40 versus $80 in generic sizes that may or may not work. 

My new years resolution this year is to paint the car and make it to Colorado so we will see how far I get. Lol

• Like 2

oops! I posted on the wrong thread! I hate phones. Anyways, it's a audible popping noise. I cannot hear it at higher RPM but its only audible with the breather off. That would be a valve problem right? Could it be a collapsed lifter and excess lash? 

Also can a moderator moves this to my me and my Buick thread? 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)