Locomobile 1909 Model L Restoration

alsfarms

2 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I am happy, regarding the Model L, for sure. Now, I can think of other missing items that I know I will need to build or maybe find.  To answer your direct question, the main "big" items I am missing are the skirtless rear fenders.  I also will need to build the fender irons, but I don't see that as a huge problem, just time consuming. Other items.....I am not sure but I may need to machine a few small pieces to make my clutch throw-out assembly fully and correctly functional.

Al

Alan, the spacer piece is designed to completely disappear into the casting leaving only the tail piece visible.  I had a set screw hole machined in to enable the installation.  

1 minute ago, ak said:

Alan, the spacer piece is designed to completely disappear into the casting leaving only the tail piece visible.  I had a set screw hole machined in to enable the installation.  

I did it this way because I found the tail piece was available mandrel bent without deformation for a 1965 mustang, only 1/8 OD less.  That is the reason for the 1/8" spacer, which would not be visible if assembled as intended. 

• Like 1

Al, what you need is a set of bead dies the right size and an edge roller. You could bend the edge of the metal into a 90 flat and then hammer it over to make the hemmed edge, then bend the fender over a mandrel. Any thing rigid of the right diameter would make a mandrel. It would be nice to have a fender to go by. These fenders were made from a certain kind of steel that bends like butter. You can't use regular cold or hot rolled. I don't remember the name of the steel at the moment but it is very easy to work.

• 7 months later...

OK, it has been a while since I provided any updates on the Locomobile Model L Baby Tonneau project. I have been working on Locomobile but maybe not continually on the Model L.  However, Steering wheel Bob has come out of retirement and now has my steering wheel in his hands and is beginning a restoration of the steering wheel rim,  It totally impressed me as to the physical weight of the manganese bronze steering wheel spider! It is my plans to go through the steering gear now and get it ready for installation. I do need to install a new brass tube on the column.  What/where/who is a good source for thin wall brass tube?  Like all things Locomobile, the steering column assembly is a HEFTY item....not like a Model T for sure!

Al

Locomobile Steering wheel.jpg

• Like 1

Good to hear! I believe the greatest threat to any restoration is distraction and an antique car is not about simple restoration. Each piece has to be evaluated and restored if need be. Thus, there are thousands of points along the way to get distracted by something shiny or more easily restored. The restoration can become drudgery. Each time this happens, the restoration falls further away and this is why many cars that are torn down for restoration are never restored. The sum of its parts are greater than the whole. My garage has several unrestored projects because I got distracted from the car I was working on and found another.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke with Bob Monetti today and received sad news from him. His Christmas and Holidays were not cheery. His wife took sick a while before Christmas and progressively got worse and worse until she passed two days ago. Her funeral will take place tomorrow. Bob told me that they had been married for 63 years. What a nice tribute to a marriage commitment! My condolences and sympathy go to Bob and his family at the passing of his wife. He is planning to get back to his steering wheel restoration business as soon as possible, with his son, as he feels being busy with something, that he is good at and is uplifting, will help him cope with this sad time.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I am getting closer to upholstery for the Baby Tonneau and would like to see a few very clear good quality pictures of any existing Locomobile that is upholstered as per original, no pleats and no diamond tufting. I would also like to see the upholstery on the rear doors also.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Al, I don't know if it would help, but some time back I posted a period picture of I believe a touring car in the snow with the Vanderbilt cup radiator ornament. It showed pretty good detail of the interior.

If you can recall the location of your referenced picture, that would be nice. However, all Locomobile touring cars I have seen are diamond tufted, whereas, the Locomobile roadster and baby tonneau types show smooth leather which is what I am going to duplicate.

Al

Al, I found the picture in my attachments folder but it will not reload into this window. The car is setting in front of a dealership building and there was some discussion that the building still exists.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is the Locomobile image showing a 1909-10 Locomobile Baby Tonneau in front of a dealership back in the day. I wish the drivers blanket was in a better position so I could see the front of the passenger seat cushion, giving me a better view of those details. Thanks Aha...... There are several good items that can be gleaned from this picture as in; rear fender bracket, trim on fire wall, rivets that mount the baby tonneau cowling to the body structure, fender bead work, belly pan (that I bet went missing soon after the first service work), three tier tail lamp as option, three tier sidelamps as option, Rushmore headlamps as option, smooth contour of steering wheel, Vanderbilt trophy radiator ornament, what are the optional rims? It would be nice to see this picture colorized by someone good at that process! Dark red or dark blue would be nice options. I wonder if that is a Model I Baby Tonneau showing its nose just over the back seat of the curbside Locomobile.

Al

image.png.5d90c081919a00ef04802daa4f8d3152.png.bded226327aeb29344ad8bdea5ad16bd.png

Edited by alsfarms
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here is another piece of Locomobile sales literature shared by akrendo on another Locomobile chat....thanks. I am borrowing from that other chat to post here as it directly relates to this chat. The more formal 1909-10 touring car, shown in this picture, would be a sister to the Locomobile Model L Baby Tonneau which is the subject of this chat. This ad does share some good information....enjoy. I quickly notice and point out that the baby tonneau has smooth leather upholstery, whereas, the touring car has a more elegant diamond tufted upholstery.

Al

thumbnail_image.png.28bf32ac8ac085383771635b3f0beaa8.png.7aaf86b658967e4c131152d2847ecc6d.png

Edited by alsfarms

Al, the wheels on the 1909-10 model I appear to be Bakers. They had the felloe rounded over between the spokes like that. Other makes may have had the same treatment.

What is the difference between a model L and a model I?

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Al,

Yes, Firestone wheels typically have a heavier spoke and the felloe is square. Baker wheels have a thinner spoke and rounded off felloe. One difference between the number 1 loco racer and the number 16 was old 16 had the firestone style wheel while the number 1 car had baker style. I say, style, because I cannot say that firestone never made wheels in a baker style and vice versa. Bakers were made in the larger sizes, 28, 29."

That is the good thing about this forum venue, we can share information and always be learning! This time I learn a bit about Baker wheel hardware. I will follow up with another question. It looks like the Baker wheel hardware shows what appears to be several valve stems, more explanation is needed for me to understand the Baker technology.

Al

Al,

Those are not valve stems. In the early years tire slippage was a major concern. If the tire slips on the rim it will disrupt the valve stem and all the air will escape from the tire. Very common cause of flats both back then and today. Those contraptions are meant to lock the tire and tube together on the rim so no slippage can occur. Many period pictures reveal they were popular in the day.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

Back to the steering wheel restoration being completed by Bob Monetti. He called and let me know the the wheel restoration is on the downhill side and is now being sanded smooth, primered then lastly will receive the  black topcoat finish. He will be sharing a group of "before", "during" and "after" pictures which I will, inturn, share here.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I heard again from Steering Wheel Bob who suggests that my steering wheel is going to the paint booth tomorrow.  This steering wheel project is nearing completion. I should have pictures, that I can share shortly.  On another note....I am getting more comfortable about doing the install of upholstery in  this Locomobile baby tonneau. I am getting excited about learning and completing a new aspect of the antique automobile hobby which is upholstery and this is thanks to those with experience sharing knowledge on the AACA tech forums.

Al

• Like 2

This is getting very exciting! Does this mean the steering column is nearly finished? Are we ready to polish it up and wrap it and put it up on the shelf until the frame gets done?

Is the white Locomobile show above, one sold by the Dragon's a while back? I actually think this Locomobile is a Model L (30) not a Model I (40). If this is that car, I had more than a few real good chats with the previous owner and know more history on that one. Yes, steering gear restoration is grinding along. From a mechanical standpoint, my column is NOT worn out due to wear or neglect. The steering wheel, it's self, showed the simple affects of age as the steering wheel rim gave up the ghost.....so to speak. The outer brass tune will be replaced as it has some stress crack damage that is pointless to try to repair, just replace and polish. I hope to post pictures from Steering Wheel Bob tomorrow or the next day.

Al

The assumption is that the Model I and Model M are very very similar. Even the frame rails are nearly the same. There is only 3" difference between the two models and that difference is in the hood. I can't confirm but it is my opinion that the bodies are the same. If anyone has specific information to the similarities between the 1909 Model I and the 1909 Model L, please share.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

The problem with this is Locomobile was a custom car, but I don't know, were bodies custom in these years? The two restored examples above, shared here purely for upholstery examples, have very different front seats. Of the three pictures I have posted, all three have different front seats. Is there a way to know what is correct and is there such a thing as correct for Locomobile?

In the original picture posted above, the seats look to be divided at the back with no center divider coming to the front while the seats on the olive green car are connected in the middle with no center divider and the white car has a short divider coming maybe half way to the front. The arm rests are all treated differently. It would be my opinion there would be no springs in the back rest or sides of the seat and that these areas are merely packed, most likely with cotton batting. If you look closely, the upholstery is very thin. The seat cushion most likely has springs. I believe the original picture and the white car shows a pillow top sewn into the seat top. These seat cushions would be sewn up. The olive car has no pillow top design and the leather may be stretched over a plywood frame.

I'm thinking this would be a feature of a custom car builder. I remember seeing a picture of a similar year Loco that is showing its age and more detail may be gleaned from these pictures.

Here is a picture of a 1911-12 Locomobile rear seat shared by a Locomobile friend among us.  This seat should be the same as the 1909-10 version of the Baby Tonneau body style. The main difference between the two is that 1911-12 body has front doors and the 1909-10 bodies do not have front doors. I am impressed that this Locomobile has been driven with passengers in the back seat and that the leather still has the appearance of being stuffed properly and is holding the shape nicely. I also see the "dog leg" top irons. I have an original set of "dog leg" irons for my Locomobile but mine are a bit different in design. What are the thoughts of others reading here?  This picture represents the finished product I have planned for my Locomobile Baby Tonneau rear seat. Thanks for sharing.

Al

image.png.9187c4fbbc415fea1c453d4b45fe967b.png

Here is an update on current restoration aspects of the 1909 Locomobile Model L Baby Tonneau. Yesterday, I was able to bring home the Singer 29K60 sewing machine. This may not be the absolute best machine but it is made for sewing leather, has a press foot, no reverse but the press foot can change direction and the result being to perform the reverse function. This is a treadle machine imported from Scotland in 1943. I need to clean it up, service it and do some general restoration and I will be in business. Pictures to follow. I am in process of building a 4' x 8' "clean" layout table for use with upholstery.  This table will not be a mechanics table but will be reserved for "clean" work. I also will be building a work table to incorporate into the 29K60 to make a flat surface to hold the material worked with while sewing.  I have a sample of stitching this machine did two years ago and I am very impressed.  Beautiful stitches through 4 layers of canvas.

Alan

This update is going to cover work completed by Steering wheel Bob, (Bob Monetti) of New Jersey. My steering wheel is now restored and ready to use. What a nice addition! Here are before, during and after pictures.

Before

Al

image.jpeg.1939e081253e835cfd57e24329edd22f.jpeg