Were Side View Mirrors Factory Equipment?

Gary W

Question:  Did the 1937 Buick come with side view mirrors on the door frames?

I was following along as Dave Arthur replaced his vent window glass.  The replacement looks great but got me thinking.  I got my '37 Special with two side view mirrors, both different styles and the kind that simply is screwed to the door frame via allen screws.  When I looked at Dave's side view mirror, it appears like the door has a "cut out" to accept the mirror stem.  (Maybe I'm seeing things in the photo that isn't really there) So now I'm wondering  if the '37 came with mirrors on the doors, or just the interior rear view mirror?  And if they came with mirrors, does anyone have a photo or a part # that is correct?   My doors don't have a spot like Dave's for the mirror to attach.

5a1f1af7eb9c9_NEWWINDWING.thumb.JPG.a98b24097757ae5b54bebd392c757fe7.JPG.d243ea7fbbf2d7b639472e285f99c0b1.JPG

Dave's sideview mirror.  To me it looks like the door has a cutout where the mirror is attached.  

DSC_0879.thumb.JPG.83efa4f1f5a98851d317487a956cab0a.JPG.a6ff756ce949d1ee5009ee82068ae3d2.JPG

My '37 has a "straight stem" mirror on the passenger's side, attached to the door frame and...

DSC_0881.thumb.JPG.5fbaea21ca87a68baedf91d5012abc65.JPG.2c956905cd3198e2e2ead59e48ab5a9b.JPG

One of those curved stem, drop-type mirror on the driver's side.  I know there is no way it came out of the factory like that!

Just curious, for the sake of originality.

Thanks!

Gary

I don't think outside mirrors were standard equipment on anything back then. I do think they were required in WA. I suspect the dealers here bought clip-ons and hinge pin mirrors by the case. I am not sure of any of this. Curious what others say.

Gary, my car did not come with side view mirrors. They were available from dealers and vendors as accessories but were not generally used in 37 or 38. I would imagine that as traffic got worse and cement roads replaced dirt roads and speeds increased a side view mirror became desirable. Many cars that didn't originally come with side view mirrors were added at a later date and purchased from a dealer or a garage as an accessory. I found mine searching on eBay and it was from the forties. I liked it because the ribs on the mirror matched the trim on my 38. It attaches with the two slotted screws as do most from that era. Its almost a necessity today. I did not feel the need to add one to the other side. 

windwing replaced.JPG

ROBARK MIRROR.JPG

MIRROR ATTACHMENT.JPG

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The body parts manual only shows a Buick part number for the inside rear view mirror. As previously indicated, there were various aftermarket mirrors available over the years. I suspect most clip on the door similar to Dave's. Mine are a little bit different than his. I have one on each of my front doors. The one on the driver's door works well. The one on the passenger door is adjusted to show the right running board and the ground beside the car which is helpful when backing into a parking space. It really cannot be adjusted to see much else on that side. I suspect there might be a different style with a different arm shape that might work better, but I have not found it. 

• Thanks 1

Tough question. I just saw a 1957 episode of Leave it to Beaver. Ward (Beaver's Father) was driving a new 1957 Ford (sans outside mirrors).

Watching period movies from the 30s and 40s almost never seeing a side view mirror. Always seeing the driver hanging out the window looking to make a back-up.

On my 37 There was not a side view mirror when I bought it. I tried the "PEEP" mirrors which mount above the vent window. They are more than useless for our cars. I found a good compromise on a round mirror for both sides which still clamps on the door edge. They still do rub the door opening. I could not have negotiated the hate full traffic around Chicago without them.

5a20193b7bd29_DSCF2603-Copy.JPG.a3be873cb5effa7391bacfa0b8213e5f.JPG

I like the hinge pin type. Too expensive for me but I think they look great.

5a2019304fe12_DSCF0705-Copy.JPG.f3492eabc8fda79a4b61a1887e505d77.JPG

• Thanks 1

To the best of my knowledge, GM dealers (Cadillac for sure) sold "King Bee" brand clamp-on mirrors in the late 1930s, which are being reproduced (google them).    Can't speak for BCA, but most clubs' judging accept accessory mirrors "of the era" as safety items necessary for today's traffic.