1939 248 engine head removal

39Cdan

Good Afternoon,

Talked myself into removing the manifolds to sandblast and paint. Yep, there's a non-trivial crack in the exhaust manifold - found and bought a replacement from ebay.

I'm certain the head and its components haven't been removed and cleaned in several decades, if ever.

Question - may I trouble one of you who have been down that road to provide or refer me to the corresponding step-by-step?

Not afraid to turn some wrenches but I'd like to get a tested plan for going in, and coming out alive.

Thank you!

Kevin

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual. All of it section by section. The pdf link does not work.

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942-41

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop%20Manual/

• 2 weeks later...

The way to lift the head is to remove the side panel (the panel that covers the push rods) and you can hook a 2 x 4 under the head there. Should pop right up.

When putting it back, make sure the pistons are all down in their cylinders, sometimes 2 of them will be sticking up and they are fragile with those domes sticking up.

• 2 weeks later...

You may not elect to do it but twice I've had Buick heads/valves rebuilt for free at a local automobile trade school. The work is monitored and "approved" by a licensed instructor. These schools are always looking for work projects.  Luckily none of my valves needed replacement; that would have been a problem.