1972 BUICK GS STAGE1 20,703 MILES

Guest sousacycles

Guest sousacycles

Just bought this nice car in storage since 1989 in collection .Been detailing cars truck since 1974 had shop 20 just buffed this out has had 1 repaint mid 80's  from what i was told ordered car with edelbrock b4b  intake was in truck dealer put on car notice has 71-2 gto dual snorkel air cleaner car would not fit stock one on it ?? i was told ....funny tires build date 1993  thanks joe central ca 

20171120_163252.jpg

20171120_163323.jpg

20171121_080544.jpg

To find the engine stamping as Ed suggests you look between the back two plugs on the driver’s side of the engine. The picture below shows what my ’72 GS has stamped onto the block, WA. If it is a Stage I it would have a WS stamped on the block. I don’t believe the Stage I was an option for the ’72 Riviera?

5a17138c19b87_009(2).thumb.jpg.c954916d1ab86893f72aea959e442bbb.jpg

Here are the codes and VIN number info for ’72 Buicks from the Buicks.net website …

On models from 1972 through 80, the fifth character of the VIN provides engine identification. This character appears on the dash VIN plate, but not on the engine itself.

YEAR

ENGINE

TYPE

CODE

VIN

V-8 350

2bbl

WC

H

V-8 350

4bbl single exhaust

WB

J

V-8 350

4bbl dual exhaust

WB

K

V-8 455

4bbl single exhaust

WF

T

V-8 455

4bbl dual exhaust

WF

U

V-8 455

4bbl, Stage I

WS

V

V-8 455

4bbl

WA

W Riv GS

Riv looks very nice, a few changes to it, but nicely done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There were no Stage1 Rivs in 71 or 72.  There was a GS engine specifically for the Riv GS and Centurion for those who chose that option.  The engine code would be WA.  No WS blocks in Rivs.

And you wouldn't have been able to order a B4B from the factory.  There was an over-the-counter Stage2 package available, but the factory would not install it.  This package included a B4B.  It is remotely possible that someone might have ordered just the B4B and the dealer installed it.  Without proper documentation, it is just another aftermarket intake that someone tossed on in their garage 25 years ago.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I am the new owner of this Buick Riviera. I did not have time to enjoy the ride. I did it only 300 miles and the engine got off. A case? I need to do the main overhaul of the engine.

jJDbDjMGjAYJxu35kVEx1RZWusk3narzm80aVrBO

37 minutes ago, Baker1 said:

I am the new owner of this Buick Riviera. I did not have time to enjoy the ride. I did it only 300 miles and the engine got off. A case? I need to do the main overhaul of the engine.

jJDbDjMGjAYJxu35kVEx1RZWusk3narzm80aVrBO

Maybe something was lost in translation.  Can you describe what happened to the engine?  Are you just looking at a coolant leak and assuming it needs a complete overhaul?