Inline fuse links

Guest Farmer Wayne

Guest Farmer Wayne

Hey everyone! I'm restoring a 72 Buick GS Convertible, with a 455 engine,

There are two inline fuses going to the large terminal on the starter, one a little heavier gauge than the other

I have never run across those and wonder if I can replace them with replaceable fuses

9 minutes ago, Farmer Wayne said:

Hey everyone! I'm restoring a 72 Buick GS Convertible, with a 455 engine,

There are two inline fuses going to the large terminal on the starter, one a little heavier gauge than the other

I have never run across those and wonder if I can replace them with replaceable fuses

Are you talking about the fusible links? Very commonly used on GM cars of this vintage.  Why do you think you need to replace them?  And FYI, if you change them for something else, that's not "restoring", that's "modifying".  Certainly you can use a maxifuse instead of a fusible link, but again, if the originals are not burned out, why change them?

• Like 1

They used the fuselink wire for reasons of reliability. They can take a temporary overload, years of vibration, etc. better than a fuse. If they are intact, it is best by far to leave them alone. If they are bad, best to replace with more fuselink wire. Fuselinks are typically 2 sizes (four numbers) smaller than the wire they are protecting, for example a #10 wire would have a #14 fuseink.

• Like 1

NAPA probably if you are in the US. Most parts stores should have or be able to get them. In some cases you can buy them as individual parts with the little "fuse link" tag. Fueslink wire is also available as bulk wire.

The whole idea of these is they burn up instead of the harness. A car battery is enough energy to make one hell of a fire. A fuselink keeps it isolated to one spot, and the special non-flammable insulation keeps the melted wire contained.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Farmer Wayne

EXCELLENT!

Thanks for the great info!

45+ years in the auto-body biz, didn't do a ton myself with the electrics, other than able to follow a diagram, when I needed.

I,m in Upstate NY

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fusible-links?GroupBy=rolluppseudosku&SortBy=default&SortOrder=ascending&cm_mmc=ppc-google-_-search-_-general-terms-_-keyword

Well this doesn't work.

Go to summitracing.com and enter fusible link in the search there.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...