Faux wood steering wheel repair

kreed

I have a faux wood steering wheel that I removed from a 66 GS that needs repair . Does anyone repair these or any suggestions of how to fill this gap ? It's all there othwise so would like to,preserve it if possible . Thanks 

Kreed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed said:

I have a faux wood steering wheel that I removed from a 66 GS that needs repair . Does anyone repair these or any suggestions of how to fill this gap ? It's all there othwise so would like to,preserve it if possible . Thanks 

Kreed

ROA 14549

Steering Wheel Bob    $$$$$

http://www.steeringwheelbob.com/

or

DIY kit Eastwood + your paint   $

http://www.eastwood.com/

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a copy of this book when it first came out in the early 1980's:

http://www.addall.com/New/compare.cgi?dispCurr=USD&id=149526&isbn=9789994683697&location=10000&thetime=20171026064900&author=&title=&state=AK

I have done a couple following some of the techniques, but with the internet, my needs have been met better by replacement. I had a hard rubber wheel on a Willys pickup that made my hands black on humid days. I fixed some chips and gave it a coat of epoxy. Worked pretty good.

Edit: There is one on Ebay as well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Restoration-Handbook-by-Turpin/132318178310?epid=2223617855&hash=item1ecec72c06:g:Y1QAAOSwyLFZrY9n

Addall.com is a great place for books. I probably use it once a month to buy books of a wide range of topics.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, PWB said:

Steering Wheel Bob    $$$$$

http://www.steeringwheelbob.com/

or

DIY kit Eastwood + your paint   $

http://www.eastwood.com/

I checked out Steering Wheel Bob's website. that guy does beautiful work. If I  ever

get a steering wheel restored, I'm going to send it to him.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

If a wheel is cracking, in my experience it is going to continue to crack. Once the plastic has lost it's elasticity, it is done for. (Kind of like a Firestone tire on the back of a Ford Explorer) If you patch all the cracks and paint

the wheel, odds are it is going to crack again very soon. The proper repair is to strip the wheel down to the bare metal rim

and recast it with colored plastic resin.  This is expensive, but it's the only way to go when a wheel is cracking. Of course finding an original uncracked

steering wheel like the one on Schmiddy's Riviera is the holy grail. I hate to bring up the subject of Armorall again because I get hammered every time I endorse it, but

Armorall was always used on the interior in my 65 Riviera and the wheel is not cracked, nor the dash pad, this in a car from Northern Illinois where it gets

colder than blue blazes in the winter, which is death on steering wheels, dash pads and other plastic parts. The original wood wheel in my GTO has never cracked

and it has been treated with Armorall since the mid 70's. Anybody who has an uncracked steering wheel, keep it Armoralled if you want it to stay that way. The uncracked original dash in my 69 GTO is the only uncracked original one I have seen in the last twenty-five years.(It's been Armoralled regularly for more than 4 decades.  ) The stuff works, I've proved it over a 40 year period.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Have contacted Bob Monetti and waiting to hear back but think that he does NOT do these faux wood wheels . Suspect I am going to try it myself as recommended by Seafoam ,Ed and Bernie. Will keep you updated . Thanks again 

KReed

ROA 14549

3 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I hate to bring up the subject of Armorall again because I get hammered every time I endorse it, but

Armorall was always used on the interior in my 65 Riviera and the wheel is not cracked, nor the dash pad, this in a car from Northern Illinois where it gets

colder than blue blazes in the winter, which is death on steering wheels, dash pads and other plastic parts.

In contrast, I don't allow Armor All anywhere near my cars.  I find that 303 looks better and lasts longer.

If you do think about farming out the steering wheel, you might also contact J.B. Donaldson Steering Wheel Restoration in Phoenix, AZ

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

I agree with Seafoam about the continued deterioration of the plastic. My '86 Park ave convertible has an imitation wood rim insert and the original was coming apart in chunks to the metal rim. I got lucky and searched similar cars. Someone put a twin up for auction on Ebay, looking for a bidding war, I guess. I was the only warrior and got it for a dollar. It has a couple of less obvious cracks but is very presentable.

Growing up around cars, I always recognize that replacing a 50 year old part with a little better 50 year old part still leaves one with a 50 year old part. I looked for that steering wheel restoration  book a little yesterday. I would probably recast my Riviera wood wheel if it cracked. Even a 10 year repair would get me to 80 at this point.

Whatever the part, I enjoy searching for a replacement or fixing the old one. I looked for a picture of the Willys wheel I did. I used primer and two coats of white epoxy. It came out pretty good for the first try. If I did a second one it would be better, I bet.

Bernie