Burgess Intake Silencer

broker-len

This is a------     BURGESS INTAKE SILENCER  -------like new condition-------for a car with up draft Carburetor   ----    stack pipe   16 inches with out air cleaner and 21 with air cleaner---seems to attach to manifold  bolt----trying to find what it fits------------------bobnroman@yahoo.com

SIL 1.JPG

SIL 2.JPG

sil-4.JPG

sil-5.JPG

sil-7.JPG

sil-8.JPG

It's almost certainly for something British, Burgess is a British company. But it could fit nearly anything, car, truck , Industrial, agricultural . It doesn't ring a bell as far as British cars are concerned.  The 90 Deg. bend in the lower pipe looks like it might have been a modification, the welding looks a little crude compared to how the rest of it is constructed. 

Greg in Canada

I bought it for my 32 PA plymouth Burgess made both air silencers for plymouth   close but does not fit---  it has updraft carb and for first generation had the air intake under carb      they made a unit with the air cleaner above the carb  to protect fro back fire----   I do not think it modified ----------------------thank you

Here my intake on a PA 4 cylinder engine in my '31 truck . I am trying  to determine if is original or was added . Other Dodge/Grahams have air cleaner straight off carb . I know carb is also wrong Zenith universal ,should be Carter brass bowl . But there was a change to Ball type in later '32 . Maybe you could shed some light on it broker-len ...

Thanks Tom

59c97ea99881d_Rtsideengine.thumb.jpg.2f65cff88291533813389d0cfe5bc15e.jpg

Tom    thanks for the post    see Picture from Plymouth Bulletin  the way it is supposed to look-----  prier post---   that came out on PA in 1932      in 1931   air intake under carb     my car in original with the exception of a BB1      I will take a picture tomorrow and post---see the original carter brass bowl and trying to put brugess in motor      does not fit

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

I learn something every day. It seems  like there is both a U.S. Burgess , it looks like they are still in the industrial silencer business as Burgess / Manning and the British Burgess. I wonder if there is any connection ?

Greg in Canada

Tom   ---this is how I am going to run my car right now      Carter BB1--the style of air silencer is what was original though the pipe connector was straight for the brass bowl      I think they went to the other units for safety      since updraft carbs have a tendancy to leak     could have blase if back fore

sil-9.JPG

Bob

this is the correct air cleaner for the late PA -- if you do not want the extinction tube I could use it.  Looks  like you need to take the linkage off of carb. --- the lower ring will slide over a stud on bellhousing tips in to slide intake tube onto carb. The extinction tube tab will go on exhaust manifold bolt.  it will need the carter brass bowl carb. to work.

I,m sure this is correct ---Allan

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, ArticiferTom said:

I am trying  to determine if is original or was added . Other Dodge/Grahams have air cleaner straight off carb .

Hey Tom,

all my literature of close ups in both a Ross Roy Salesman Booklet and WPC Chrysler News circa 1979 show no filter. 

See this from Chrysler news article attached. I can send you pics from the Ross Roy book specific for the UF10 if needed... I don't have those scanned yet but I'd be happy to send them if needed.

I do however have a scan of the Ross Roy Saleman book in my database for the UF30 showing the same exact 4 cyl set up. According to the Chrysler article the UF10 and UF30 shared this same engine for 4 cyl platform. NONE of these photos I have show a filter for your truck. Seems odd but I'm just letting you know what I'm seeing....

1931 32 DB trucks 3.jpg

UF302.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

32 Plywood------the large burgess is not correct for the car    will not fit with out altering the cables     the air pipe goes over the brass bowl and the support goes on the manifold stud but the support on the lower rear is not correct     it is too nice to chop it up     going to try to find what it fits

Burgess intake silencer - Freepatentsonline.com have quite a few results you may want to take a look at

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?sort=relevance&srch=top&query_txt=burgess+intake+silencer&submit=&patents=on

Also,

this one from a 1955 sketch looks close according to the last photo.

According to google search :

"April 14, 1959 w. A. TERNES 8 AIR CLEANER AND SILENCER Filed April 11, 1955 j 4 E l ZNVENTOR. M47724? 7 72 77765 United States Patent AIR CLEANER AND SILENCER William A. Ternes, Grosse Pointe, Mich. Application April 11, 1955, Serial No. 500,435 "

Without seeing the piece in person it's hard to tell if it's a match or not... Good Luck Len

US2881860-0.png