Fuel cap 70 GS

GS1455

Sadly some jackass stole my fuel cap at a recent cruise in, while I was looking at other cars. I now am having trouble finding a proper vented cap like the one I had (original) can anyone tell me where I might find a suitable replacement? thank you...Pat

For vehicles with the tank filler behind the license plate, you have to be careful of how high the cap's top is, lest it end up being the "travel limited" for the license plate to return to its "up" position fully.

Once you have a locking cap that fails to unlock, the cost and effort AND expense of getting it removed far outweighs the cost of the fuel (at this time) that might be missing.  Especially if you're on the way home from an event and need more than the remaining 1/4 or 1/8th tank of fuel to get there.

Your money, your judgment call.

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

FCorrect!  Not vented.  RockAuto has a large selection of brands, locking and normal.  Even ACDelco!  Just don't go to a GM dealer to get one!  Also fits a hoard of other Buicks, GM cars,  Fords, Chryslers, BMW, even the AMX, and other brands!  Generally 1965-70 model years. 

1971 was the first year for Federal fuel vapor control and those caps have the longer locking tangs tangs on them, plus the "pressure relief" feature.  NOT useable on earlier models and still seal correctly, nor can the earlier models be used on a '71 vehicle (locking tanks won't engage in the filler neck).

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone, my spare cap (used) is not vented, the tank is not ESC type, it has a vent with a little cotton swab in it, car starves for gas at about 2600 rpm and 55mph is top speed in fourth gear beyond that it backfires and stumbles, this began when I put spare cap on...hope problem is solved with proper cap, stolen cap was marked "vented" I assume it was proper, thank you rivnut, ordered from buickparts, hopefully all will be well again, thank you all again, Pat

Does that include stage 1 cars with the larger fuel pump? This car is a documented stage 1 455 might there be a difference? There is a single vent up top with a wad of cotton in it, no charcoal canister, listings are confusing on this model....cap is under license plate, used to hold plate open, hard to forget, I believe it was the original cap, it was marked 'vented' can't seem to find anything like what I had even buickparts isn't sure on this application. Too bad there are thieving people everywhere or jealous children in adult bodies. Hopefully I will find something that works, thank you, Pat

Guest alleyyooper

How sure are you that it was an adult and not a kid. Kids are some of the biggest theives of the spring loaded hood oranments off all brand ofcars and Buicks in particular.

:D  Al

8 hours ago, alleyyooper said:

How sure are you that it was an adult and not a kid. Kids are some of the biggest theives of the spring loaded hood oranments off all brand ofcars and Buicks in particular.

Maybe 20 years ago? How many kids do you see at car shows, because every time I go I never see today's youth. I'm usually the youngest guy there and I'm 25. And this is of course excluding children. 

Guest alleyyooper

Around here there is always a bunch of 12 to 18 year olds at car shows. Some times they are in big groups some times in a small group of 2 or 3 so I am sure dares happen.

Edited by alleyyooper (see edit history)