Dimensions of the brake adjustment tool?

tinsled

would anyone post a photo or sketch of the GM brake adjusting tool, please?

The one you use to turn the expanding screw between the low ends of the brake shoes from behind the support plate.

I am working on my 1942 Buick (12" drums) when I realized I'm missing the adjustment tool to get the shoes close enough to the drums.

I do not have time to seek and buy the tool (overseas) - It should be simple enough to make it by myself.

Your help is appreciated - please!

Thanks,
Pekka

Edited by tinsled (see edit history)

I sent photos via my cell phone..   This is the tool we used on the '37's brakes.  I don't know if it is an actual "Buick" Tool, but it fits and works perfectly.  

John calls it "the spoon"

• Like 1

Thanks Gary,

Just what I need. 

The lower control arm is so low that it blocks the adjustment hole, there's no room for straight tool such as a screwdriver.

I knew I need to make a bent tool, but by Gary's photo I can get the right proportions and bent angle without "try and fail" iteration.

Thanks again,

Pekka

• Like 2

I ground and filed a wide, fat screw driver out of a short grade 8.8 bolt. It was to undo the screws on the field coils in the generator. I used a puller to provide pressure to make sure it didn't slip out of the slot. It was made to fit so the slot was not damaged. A similar system might work for your brake adjuster slot?

Pekka,

Judging by your location, you probably do not have a Sears or a Harbor Freight store near you, so grab a slat out of somebody's iron fence and hot forge it to something like Gary's picture.

Doesn't have to be perfect, just close, and it will work fine.

A big screw diver will work in a pinch.

Gary, shame on you for posting a used tool.

That needs to go to "Paul's" for replating.............

HEHEHE

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Mike,

Yes, you're right. Some hardware store probably would have something close enough, but I make one faster than find a suitable in a store.

After all, all the tools by name here are for modern cars, no such thing as adjusting tool for drum brakes known if you ask on the counter.

I already made the tool and adjusted the brakes, thanks to you kind folks.

The information was the optimal angle and the lenght of "the tongue" (roughly 2" is close enough)

The issue was also, I could not bleed the air out of the pipes before the shoes were close to the drums.

Even if the main cylinder was good & tight and the reservoir was full of fluid, the pedal just went limp to the floor no matter how long you pumped it.

When I adjusted the shoe gap, the fluid went down to the pipes and air started to come out from the bleeder screws...

The brakes are now OK

Thanks,

Pekka

• Like 1