Seagrave t head

marc1122

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Al,

not had much time in the shop lately as we are a little over halfway through our harvest here in Indiana. Although, the crankcase for the lafrance is done at the machine shop, new Babbitt bearings, ground the cams and crank, line bored. Reconditioned rods. Going to pick it up first rainy day or as soon as harvest is done. I took the pan, intake and water domes to my plating and polishing shop a few weeks ago. Should be done soon. The seagrave engine is free and waiting on me for disassembly and inspection. I bought the apperson jackrabbit chassis that was on this site for sale. That will be the seagrave or lafrance engines home. I have not decided yet. I have to go retrieve it as soon as harvest is done or I get a couple rain days. Yes, it will take some reinforcement but I think it's a great platform.

You mention plating.  Are you going with bright nickel or chrome?  I have decided bright nickel.  My Gray and Davis electric headlights, side lights and tail light will all be bright nickel.  So I decided that any trim on the engine , dash board and controls will be also nickel.  Do you have your Alf. pistons yet?

Al

PS:  I am just a few weeks ahead of you.  My silage corn and alfalfa are all complete and out of the field.  I am dressed and ready for snow....I hope.

Al,

the Pistons in the alf engine cleaned up and are good to use. Just needed a set of new rings. When we got the engine apart the jugs and Pistons were stamped +.010. Machine shop said didn't look like much run time after the rebuild. Cross hatching still in cylinder walls. They are just polishing the cast aluminum pan, water domes and intake. I am going to have the steel timing cover, lifter hold downs and fan nickel plated. I feel like chrome is too modern for these engines.

wish our field work was done. About three more weeks and we will be done. Fighting wet, cold weather now.

marc

• 2 weeks later...

Marc,  What crop is the tail end of your harvest?  We have a few seed corn growers that like to let the corn dry as much as possible before threshing and they are still at it but not much left.  My corn was gone during the first two weeks of Sept., but mine went to market as feed corn (silage).  We have short on water this year but a few farmers have enough left over to plant fall wheat. My area flood irrigates from winter snow in the mountains.   Sadly, the futures on wheat do not look good.  I chose not to plant any fall wheat as I do not like to loose my shirt on it!  It is much more pleasant to invest in a speedster.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Al,

both corn and soybeans. We had a good start to spring planting then it turned cold and very wet. A lot of replant had to be done so part of the crop harvest was pushed back somewhat. We hope to be wrapped up by late next week. Can't come soon enough. I am more than ready to clean up equipment and put it to bed for the winter and turn my attention to the shop.

marc

• 1 year later...

I just bought two early Seagrave fire trucks with the F6 T head engines. One is absolutely complete and is the 24 sparkplug engine. The other one is missing the carb and magneto and is the 18 sparkplug engine. I have too many other projects and need to move these. One has cast spoke wheels and the other has discs. I will sell all or part. Let me know of your needs.

Rusted Nuts.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Did your drive shaft have the oil deflection ring on the shaft? The best I can tell it’s one other the other but you can’t have the felt and the deflection ring in use at the same time. 

CAB3056D-D28A-4AD7-ACAD-B15B96C87046.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Good morning Karsten,

I am building a 1918 Seagraves speedster and I would like to connect with you to exchange tips.  I tried to send you a message through the board but the system does not allow me yet because I do not have enough postings.

My email is Agracig@gmail.com and I am located in Maryland, US.  

If you read this message please contact me.

Thank you and good luck with your project!

Cheers.

Roberto

• 8 months later...