Chrysler 58 or 50

Would need to help determine the type and the year of production. I only have a photo data tag and a photo of the car. It's a Chrysler four-cylinder, either type 58 or 50. Can somehow help me?  I do not believe what the owner says

Thank you

marbeton

20170804_115022.jpg

chrysler-50-roadster-usa-1927_galerie-980.jpg

Looks to be a 1927 Model 50 with the 4 lug nuts on the rims. The Model 58 had 6. A closer, more legible photo of the FEDCO tag would verify that. I cannot read the digits on the plate. Can you have the owner give you the exact digits from it? What year does the owner claim it to be?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The problem is that the owner has previously stated that it is the 50 model of 1925. Now he claims that it is model 58 also from 1925. Unfortunately, he does not want to show more and even the data tag I photographed very quickly and I already I probably will not be able to do it again. I also can not find the first letter on the tag. The next one is YYY, five, five, nine and the last letter is probably P.

It was common to register cars as the year when sold and not necessarily the year made. A 1927 Model could be made in 1926 and registered as a 1926. The Model 58 was a 1926 and had 6 lug nuts as all other Chryslers in 1924, 1925 and 1926 had.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I also think it's type 50, and that it can not be 1925 but later because type 50 was made from 1926 to 1927 is it so? I'm still sending a photo of the steering wheel where there are other levers than I have in my type 58. Is there anything else I can convince the owner?

My type 58 has a FEDCO wc114e and was made in September 1925 I hope this is the right figure and had  6 lug nuts .

Thank you for your help.

34579966925_2982f2e826_b.jpg

Hi,

I rebuilt a Chrysler 50 some years ago the fedco number was FY237E. The letters actually are a hidden number and can be deciphered from WPCHRYSLER,  W was zero, P was one, C was two, etc.  From what I understand some unusual letters were also used when they did not want to start with a number. So FY237E probably was car serial number 52378.

I dont have access to this car anymore but I remember the F was quite hard to see. I would think the car you are looking at probably was FY559P (55591) and built a few thousand cars after the tourer we had.

Serial numbers for Detroit built 1927 Chrysler 50's ran from FW000P(00001) to FL486E (74868), this info was supplied to me by Chrysler historical archives in the late 70's.Hope this helps.

Regards

Viv.

Hi,

This is a copy of the dating sent to me by Chrysler historical Archives. Kaisers chart appears to be by shown as per each 1000 cars built which is nice in that you can date your car by the month. Remember that cars built after July of any year are considered to be next years model, so a car built in say October 26 will be a 27 model.

The pictures you show have the same wood steering wheel and bakelite control levers as the 27 we had.

Viv.

fedco.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more question. The Chrysler Brochure, which I received directly from Detroit, lists only 4 types of bodywork. The Touring Car, the Coupe, the Sedan and the Coach. Does that mean that type 58 was not produced as a roadster? It is so?

Hi Marbeton, George Dammanns book, 70 years of Chrysler shows a picture of a 1926 Model 58 roadster, but it states they were available as a 2 seater and the rumble seat was not available. It shows the 1927 model 50 roadster was available with a rumble seat.

My Old Car price guides also show prices for model 58 roadster.

Regards

Viv.