Hubcap Collection Needs New Home!

Guest Weinstein

Guest Weinstein

Hi,

My uncle recently passed away and was an avid collector of antique hubcaps (he has rooms full of them at his house!).  As my family starts emptying out his house, we were hoping that his collection could go to a good home instead of being thrown away.  He was elderly, so things aren't really labeled, but he must have close to 1000 in his collection.  My family used to own a tire company back in the 1950s, so many of his hubcaps came from there.  My uncle also bought many from various car shows throughout the East Coast.

If you could recommend places that would take the hub caps, that would be much appreciated! We would ideally be looking for someone who could take all of them, or as many as possible.

We are located in NYC.  Attached are just a few pictures of the collection.

Thanks!

hubcaps 7.jpg

hubcaps 6.jpg

hubcaps 5.jpg

hubcaps 4.jpg

hubcaps 3.jpg

hubcaps 2.jpg

hubcaps.jpg

Edited by Weinstein (see edit history)

Wanna take a guess at how old my kids were before they figured out FORD was written in reverse in the bottom of their cereal bowl? Me, my Wife, a Son, and a Daughter, service for four, how convenient.

Do you have many full sets?

Bernie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Wanna take a guess at how old my kids were before they figured out FORD was written in reverse in the bottom of their cereal bowl? Me, my Wife, a Son, and a Daughter, service for four, how convenient.

Do you have many full sets?

Bernie

There is a reason you have so many likes, enter the mind of Bernie! love it!

• Like 1

Posting a few photos on this forum would help with finding them a new home.  Several years ago I was in a similar situation with having to liquidate a lot of auto parts quickly.  I advertised on here as well as running adds in local newspapers and those free merchandiser papers that show up in your mailbox or driveway.  My best offers came from the merchandiser.   Lesson learned was to not overlook the old methods of selling, they still work!

Terry

Guest Weinstein
On 8/2/2017 at 5:16 PM, GregLaR said:

I might be able to help.

Where are you located?

Greg

We are located in NYC.

Hope I don't burst someone's bubble but as a collectible, hubcaps from this era are not such a hot commodity.  The earlier screw-on caps are however.   Selling an entire load of them would be difficult unless they were going to a Hershey vendor or ebay seller who would resell them one at a time.  At that rate however, it might take a life-time to do.  No doubt there are going to be a few rare ones among them but as I always say - you can only sell the good stuff once.

Terry

hubcaps 5.jpg

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

hubcaps from this era are not such a hot commodity.  The earlier screw-on caps are however. 

It looks like there are a few earlier screw-on caps like these two with the J's on them. That is what your are referring to is it not? At least 4 of them in the limited photos posted thus far.

It would be nice to sell the regular hubcaps off individually for people to hang on their wall depending on if it is from their favorite make/model, or hang them on the wall of a tavern if you have one. Dented or scraped against the curb takes away almost all value, in most cases anyway.