63 Buick Riviera voltage regulator

Turbinator

Need more info. What brand and type of regulator are you purchasing? Have they all been same brand or different. Solid state or mechanical?

I know aftermarket parts can be suspect quality but 4 regulators in a year is a little odd. 

JZRV, The regulators come from NAPA in Cockeysville Md. I'm sure they are Chinese made and solid state. The mechanic , whom I trust, put on 2 from NAPA that didn't charge up to 14.2, so he replac3d them until he got that did charge up to 14.2.  Number3 just went caput in about a year ( I drive a little less than 1000 mikes a year.) so, we are after the yet another from NAPA.

im unopposed to buying American made NOS voltage regulator if I knew the best model to seek.

thank you for your help.

Red Riviera Bob

On 7/31/2017 at 7:09 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

The next voltage regulator I put in my 63 Buick riviera will be the fourth ( 4th ) in 12-13 months. Has anyone found a voltage regulator that is reliable?

thank you

If absolutely original appearance is not a concern consider converting your stock charging system to a later model alternator with an internal regulator. The stock alternator from an `80`s Riv (dont remember the alt model #) will bolt in place. With some simple wiring the ext regulator and the associated wiring can be completely eliminated or an adapter harness (very simple bypass type of wiring) can be installed to maintain a "dummy" regulator for appearances sake. The conversion will bring the charging system potential from 55 amps to approximately 100.

Tom Mooney

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

If absolutely original appearance is not a concern consider converting your stock charging system to a later model alternator with an internal regulator. The stock alternator from an `80`s Riv (dont remember the alt model #) will bolt in place. With some simple wiring the ext regulator and the associated wiring can be completely eliminated or an adapter harness (very simple bypass type of wiring) can be installed to maintain a "dummy" regulator for appearances sake. The conversion will bring the charging system potential from 55 amps to approximately 100.

Tom Mooney

Tom- thank you for the information. I'll catalogue the information in case the most recent 4th regulator fails. I"m all for keeping things stock; HOWEVER, if the parts availability or reliability are a major concern I have no problem making the change over. I just got the car out of the REAL mechanics shop and all  works fine. Perchance the charging system fails again I'll make the change over.

thanks again for your help.

Red Riviera Bob

10 hours ago, rivi64 said:

If your looking for a NOS regulator, contact Craig at Mobile Parts 516-485-1935.

Ron

Ron, thanks for at the heads up lead for a NOS regulator. For now I have 1 new supposedly OEM regulator and an aftermarket regulator on the car now.

I'd would have liked the NOS, but I suspect they are pricey. Nonetheless I have Ron's name and number at Mobile Parts should I need an NOS regulator.

Red Riviera Bob

Original voltage regulators have the black Delco cover on them.  Other makers do not.  I have been able to transfer the original cover over to other regulators (held by 2 screws) and disguise the fact that it is not a Delco VR.  On the solid state unit I had to drill out 2 rivets and then the 2 screws went right into the holes.

Jim, I referred to Hemmings article regarding the Wells VR 715 voltage regulator. I'm a man not to spend too much money in a foolish manner. Now, I see the Wells VR715 at different prices on the internet. So, is the VR715 price of $83.00 the same product as the VR715 at another supplier at $9.99? I know you can answer with 100% accuracy on this question, but I am puzzled about the difference in price for supposedly the same product product code number.

7 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

I installed an externally regulated 100 amp alternator a few years back (bought it on eBay from Beavco (Glen Beavers).  People spoke well of him/them at the time; I don't know if they're still around - or if the alternator actually puts out the rated 100 A .).  Bought an "upgraded" VR at the same time.  After installation, the red light would come on at idle.  Put the old VR back in and everything has worked fine since.

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I installed an externally regulated 100 amp alternator a few years back (bought it on eBay from Beavco (Glen Beavers).  People spoke well of him/them at the time; I don't know if they're still around - or if the alternator actually puts out the rated 100 A .).  Bought an "upgraded" VR at the same time.  After installation, the red light would come on at idle.  Put the old VR back in and everything has worked fine since.

Reread my post...I suggested installing an INTERNALLY regulated stock GM alternator, from a mid `80`s Riv.

Tom

33 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Reread my post...I suggested installing an INTERNALLY regulated stock GM alternator, from a mid `80`s Riv.

Tom

I understood your post just fine.  I was merely noting that one doesn't need to go to an internally regulated alternator to get 100 amps.  That is, you can maintain stock appearance and get the added output without any rewiring.

Unless, of course, the alternator was misrepresented and wasn't actually pushing 100A. ;)

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

Tom, it is clearer now what I can do. Aquire an 80's Buick Riviera alternator that has the regulator inside the casing. The 80's replacement alternator will fix the problem of having regulators going bad. If want I can make it look like the "dummy" regulator bolted in the same place it is now is part of the operation. My next step would be run down the alternator that is on an 80's Riv that will fit on my 63 Riviera. The solution sounds better than trying to find a regulator each and everytime the regulator goes bad. Good guidance, thank you.

Red Riviera Bob

7 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Jim, I referred to Hemmings article regarding the Wells VR 715 voltage regulator. I'm a man not to spend too much money in a foolish manner. Now, I see the Wells VR715 at different prices on the internet. So, is the VR715 price of $83.00 the same product as the VR715 at another supplier at $9.99? I know you can answer with 100% accuracy on this question, but I am puzzled about the difference in price for supposedly the same product product code number.

As far as I know they are all the same.  I can't explain the large price difference between suppliers.

9 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Tom, it is clearer now what I can do. Aquire an 80's Buick Riviera alternator that has the regulator inside the casing. The 80's replacement alternator will fix the problem of having regulators going bad. If want I can make it look like the "dummy" regulator bolted in the same place it is now is part of the operation. My next step would be run down the alternator that is on an 80's Riv that will fit on my 63 Riviera. The solution sounds better than trying to find a regulator each and everytime the regulator goes bad. Good guidance, thank you.

Red Riviera Bob

Correct Bob...do an internet search and you will find a site which explains the details. If you fail to find it send me a PM and I will look. Someone in the past has posted the site on this forum  previously. I think it was Ed? The application for the stock alt is `85 Riv, among other applications.

Tom

8 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

As far as I know they are all the same.  I can't explain the large price difference between suppliers.

Jim, thanks. Sometimes in the marketplace items are counterfeited. I wanted to try and understand why major difference in price for the same VR715 regulator. Admittedly, the VR715 regulator with the large price difference is from different manufacturers that I found on the internet.

I understand sometimes there is no explanation. Thanks again for your help.

Red Riviera Bob