1930 Buick fuel pump

michaelod

I am in need of a fuel pump for a 1930 Buick 60 series in rebuildable condition or at least a partial one with a good base.  Unfortunately one of the mounting ears on the potmetal base on mine broke off when installing it and is beyond repair.  I believe that a 1929 pump will work as well.  Here are a couple of pictures of my pump before it broke.

Thank you,

Michael

005.JPG

001.JPG

Sorry about your misfortune. The 1929 Buick pump is different. The lever housing is quite different. The top, I think is the same. Please refer to a pump that I have listed on Ebay. The item number is 142286444235. You will easily see the differences. You may contact Tony Bult  Buick club member.

Might the 1929 pump work if you change the arm?

1930 Buick 50 & 60 used an AC #5400 (AC part no. 855400). The Series 40 used 855401. 1929 Buicks used pump no. AC 855085 (#5085).

The AC repair kit for 855085 was R-1 (less rocker arm). That for 855400 and 855401 was R-79, with and without arm (? seems odd; usu. the kit with arm has a different part number). The bowl and bowl gasket were the same 1929 & 1930. Kit R-79 was used for many Type B fuel pumps.

I don't have the top number(s) for the pumps.

I believe there are two type B bases. One has a screw each side of the top centre at the mounting face (e.g. #5409, on Chevs). The other has a screw near the centre of the mounting face (e.g. #5471, on Chryco vehicles). I think any type B base of the right shape will fit your pump. So as long as the top and arm are OK, keep your eyes open for a type B pump with the right base.

Thank you for that additional information Spinneyhill.  Hopefully I can find something with the correct base.  I would prefer not to have to go with an electric fuel pump as every other part on the car is bone stock.  It is getting harder by the day to find original parts for these cars.

Michael

Mike i have found the pump,it looks the same except the fuel outlet on the fuel bowl side goes  strait along the engine where  as the one in your picture is facing you.

Mine is NOS rebuilt and i also have a new Kanter rebuild kit in the package. I have at least two carbs one is complete with manifolds and air cleaner. I'll get you some pictures.

George 

• Like 1

George,

That pump you have sounds like it would work out just fine.  Would also like to acquire the carb w/aircleaner if it is available.

Chuck,

I checked at  "Then and Now" and they don't have a casting available for the '30.  I did however order a rebuild kit to accommodate running ethanol gas as that is all that is available in my area.

Thank you for all your help.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 8:07 AM, michaelod said:

I am in need of a fuel pump for a 1930 Buick 60 series in rebuildable condition or at least a partial one with a good base.  Unfortunately one of the mounting ears on the potmetal base on mine broke off when installing it and is beyond repair.  I believe that a 1929 pump will work as well.  Here are a couple of pictures of my pump before it broke.

Thank you,

Michael

Did you see this thread 1930 1931 Buick Fenders, Chassis, Wheels, Fuel Pump, Starter, Generator, Carb, and more

On 8/1/2017 at 10:08 AM, Dave39MD said:

I have some bases for 29-32 Chevrolets, pump 405. I can't research if they would work but if you do I have them. You would have to change the arm..

One of these bases should work with your top and arm. I might have the wrong number stamped on top of the mounting flange, that is all.

On 8/28/2017 at 0:35 AM, Buick64C said:

Thanks for the heads up on these parts.  I will contact him to see if the fuel pump is still available.  Not sure however if a 40 series pump will work on a 60 series engine though.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

On 8/28/2017 at 4:06 PM, Spinneyhill said:

One of these bases should work with your top and arm. I might have the wrong number stamped on top of the mounting flange, that is all.

I will have to research this as I am unfamiliar with these fuel pumps.  Thanks for the information and I will check it out.

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, SergioD said:

Hi. I am looking for a 1930 Buick serie 40 fuel pump and its push rod. Thank you for your help

Welcome to the AACA forums.  You would confuse people less and probably get better quicker replies if you started your own topic rather than HI-JACKING another persons thread.

Good luck with you fuel pump rod .