1929 McLaughlin-Buick Model 2941

J.H.Boland

When I was a kid, I tried to never miss the TV series "The Untouchables" and always enjoyed the old gangster movies,mainly to watch those big old 1920's sedans roaring around Chicago.I always thought someday I might own one.

The stars aligned a couple of years ago.While surfing The Autotrader", I found a restored '29 McLaughlin-Buick for sale here in Ontario .I bought it.

This car was found in the Ottawa Valley in 1975, being used as a cow scratching post ! The wood in the body was totally shot and it all had to be tied together with rope and duct tape for the trip home.Fortunately,the new owner,Peter Douma of St.Catherines,Ontario,was a master cabinet maker.It took 10 years for the complete trophy winning restoration.Peter sold the car just before his passing to another collector. He had to sell off some of HIS cars when he fell off the roof of his house and wrecked his back.

I tracked down one of Peter's sons,who still had his dad'd restoration album.He generously sent me copies of these photos to display with the car.

It is a Model 2941 Close Coupled sedan, on  a 121 inch wheelbase and powered by the big 309 cu.in.6 cylinder engine.It has been 30 years since the restoration was completed and the car has developed a patina of it's own. Some people looking at it are sure it's an amazing survivor.We enjoy owning and driving it to local meets and even took an award with it at a rod and custom car show.

'29 McLaughlin Buick ca.1975 2.jpg

1929McLaughlin Buick photo day 2016 004.JPG

1929 Mclaughlin Buick 29-41 first photos 006.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2017 at 4:48 PM, Thriller said:

Ah...so you wound up with Peter's car. I can't say I met him, but I do know the name. 

Lovely looking car. I'm glad you are enjoying it. 

It is an interesting car to drive (it's a tank !).I've said a number of times that kids caught distracted driving should be made to drive one of these for a while. What with mechanical brakes,double clutching ,no power steering,and wandering bias ply tires you don't have time to get distracted.Still,it was state of the art 88 years ago and I enjoy it anywhere but in the city.The addition of the right hand license plate helped some !

1929McLaughlin Buick photo day 2016 006.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...