1939 Business Coupe Breathes Again

JRHaelig

After a lot of poking, prodding, de-gunking and general putzing around it was a very big week for me.

First - My wife got a new puppy, but in spite of being 50 to 70 pounds smaller than our other 2 I think he's going to fit in.  With me, at least

20170621_095859.thumb.jpg.613da89cc30ba6ec220a12647ceb9c9a.jpg

The other thing is that I got my '39 to fire up.  50 lbs of oil pressure, too. 

• Like 6

All I can say is, you've got a mighty good battery! Give the poor thing some more gas! These old straight eights need a lot of gas to be spread out over that long intake manifold. You also might have a quicker start if you would just open the throttle up some when it begins to fire.

It is so rewarding to hear an old engine come back to life like this after years and years of not running.

You live a charmed life!  Those Belchfire 8s can do just that and toast your fingers!  I'd have started it from a gas can/motor boat tank for the first time, and would be working the throttle near the carb. Any Sleeping Beauty I ever got started needed a lot of throttle work to keep going until those valves freed up.

Glad you got it going!

Good to see you brought her back to life! Congratulations! No issues with starter and wiring? I never could crank my 12V sixties such a long time! First the solenoid and starter wire will blow up in smoke and fire and second the battery will be dead:rolleyes: Good old pre-war technology;)