Led set up

Reatta90

Hey guys, I have a 1990 Buick reatta, and I have been replacing the lights with led smds, and I was wondering what I should be looking for on the center tail light and for the parking lamps, or all the bulbs in that housing aside from turn signal. 

I was also hoping for the actual correct bulbs that are LEDs, im not too good in understanding the conversion as what not. Like the 1141 translating to if it is saying 1155, 1141 and etc in the manfactuer part. Or if it's an 18, 22, 36, and so on smd?

3 hours ago, Reatta90 said:

Are you sure that's the right set up for a 90?

The only difference is the 3rd brake light for '90-'91, Coupe or Convertible..

2 hours ago, Reatta90 said:

I was also hoping for the actual correct bulbs that are LEDs, im not too good in understanding the conversion as what not. Like the 1141 translating to if it is saying 1155, 1141 and etc in the manfactuer part. Or if it's an 18, 22, 36, and so on smd?

Refer to this chart=

http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=217:exterior-lights&id=178:bulb-number-chart

I don't understand what your problem is. SMD-LED are usually advertised as to what their designed to replace.

Ok- for example, according to the chart- let's take "Front Exterior Lights" D - Sylvania 194NA  parking Lamp (amber)

you'd want (depending where you buy them, Amazon for example, brand of YOUR choice)

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/133-6821311-0843736?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=194na+smd

OR let's try "C - Sylvania 890 turn signal and cornering bulbs" BE CAUTIOUS OF LENGTH OR AMBER GLOBE WILL BREAK

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=890+smd&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A890+smd

OR let's try " Rear Exterior Lights"  3 - Sylvania 2057 Replacement stop light bulb

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2057+smd&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A2057+smd

And so on- ok? The # means the bulb base or connection type- not # of SMD chips.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

Regarding the third brake light  in coupes  (not convertibles) the stock bulb is an 1141 (two of these). This is a smaller, lower output version of an 1156, to lessen the heat on the plastic lens and housing. Many LED bulbs will be sold as "1141/1156" as they fit both applications, and since the LED bulbs run cooler, using one labeled 1156 is ok. Do not use incandescent 1156 bulbs in the third brake light in any circumstance ,  as they run too hot.

Also, with LED slide in wedge base lamps like type 194, you will need to observe polarity as you are on a DC  circuit. If an LED lamp won't light, flip it 180° in the socket and that will usually solve the problem.

• Like 2

The confusion in the rear may stem from the fact that Buick put 2057 in all the sockets but the center three bulbs only need single filament bulbs...they probably used dual filament bulbs in all sockets to reduce the part numbers needed.

Use that to your advantage, if a brake light fails, swap it with one of the center three.

• Like 1

Okay guys so I'm having issues, if I put all three bulbs as LEDs I either get all just lit up or I get only the farthest two on the outside blinking, but the problem is only one will do what it's supposed to do whereas the other has either an on or off condition. But if I put w regular bulb in and two LEDs, all three will blink. But one of them always has the on or off condition. What do I do?

Since yours is a '90 you have the simple type flasher under the dash. You may need to replace it with one that flashes at a constant rate regardless of the current draw. I do not have a source for that. Anyone else happen to know?

By having a constant flasher you can also hook up three or four stop lights on each side. Mine almost shouts -- BACK OFF - THIS BUICK IS STOPPING !!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

Since yours is a '90 you have the simple type flasher under the dash. You may need to replace it with one that flashes at a constant rate regardless of the current draw. I do not have a source for that. Anyone else happen to know?

By having a constant flasher you can also hook up three or four stop lights on each side. Mine almost shouts -- BACK OFF - THIS BUICK IS STOPPING !!

Would this work? What if wired in series in '88-'89? PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xconstant+rate+car+flasher.TRS0&_nkw=constant+rate+car+flasher&_sacat=0

Wiring one of those constant rate flashers in series with the rear and front on an '88 - '89 would be problematic given the IPC and hazard circuitry. For an 88 or 89 I strongly suggest keeping the over- engineered flasher module. Remove it and locate the two wires that go to the IPC. Keep track of left and right. Cut the two wires where they exit the flasher module connector. Splice them into the left and right bulb flasher output wires. 

This entire operation is a bit involved and will require using the factory service manual and a certain degree of electrical trouble3shooting ability and confidence. The flasher module is located below the touch screen on the driver's side.

• Like 1

I posted a couple of detailed comments on your first thread. Here they are - - -

I have done a lot of trial and error replacing the exterior bulbs with LED's, especially the rear STOP/TAIL bulbs. LEDs vary greatly in intensity and color. First of all you want red bulbs not white for the rear because white LEDs result in a "washed out" appearance and not very bright. I also found little difference or a lack of contrast between the tail light brightness and the stop light (turn signal) brightness. In the end what I settled on was a very bright and red LED that is very visible in bright sunlight on the STOP/TURN side. However the TAIL side was also very bright - too bright. I ended up putting a 100 ohm (20 watt minimum) resistor in series with the TAIL light circuit. This results in a brightness that is visible in daylight but not too bright. The stoplights/turn signals (I have four hooked up on each side) really get your attention. I drive day and night with the fog light button depressed at all times so other drivers see me coming.

Here is a link for rear bulbs             http://www.ebay.com/itm/231028588922?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or search   1157 5630 Chip Cree LED Red

and this - - -

Gee I've already forgotten about the flasher problem on my '89. Yes it was over-engineered. When I started messing with LEDs I needed to remove the flasher module and study it a bit. It has separate outputs for the lights and the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster). Cut the IPC outputs and connect them directly to the bulb flasher outputs. You will then need to check your bulbs the old fashioned way - turn on the lights and look at each bulb.

Another issue you may run into is the front turn signal 890 bulbs on the corner of the parking light fixtures. These bulbs serve as both parking and turn signal using a relay and a voltage dropping resistor. Full voltage and brightness for turn signal and reduced voltage to match the other parking light bulbs. The resistor is located in front of the radiator on the driver's side.

I used this LED which is bright enough  ---   http://www.ebay.com/itm/141678643282?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I needed to increase the parking light mode resistance using this resistor --- 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252614721745?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You might want to increase this resistance because the parking light mode is still a bit on the bright side. For the small T10 parking light bulbs I used these ---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251585066822?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also to finish off the LED conversion I used these red T10 bulbs on the rear outer ends ---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301356520064?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The links to these bulbs are all in the U.S. which makes them a little more expensive but delivery only takes a few days.

Has anyone changed the flasher in a '90 with a constant rate flasher? Sounds pretty straight forward.

Apologise if I sound thick or this has been asked before , this thread is about changing lights to LED on  reatta ,

two questions spring to mind , are the headlights brighter and secondly would I benefit changing my bulbs to LED on my 53 special Buick if that's possible , noting I'm still 6v system.

cheers

pilgrim

29 minutes ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

Gee I've already forgotten about the flasher problem on my '89. Yes it was over-engineered. When I started messing with LEDs I needed to remove the flasher module and study it a bit. It has separate outputs for the lights and the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster). Cut the IPC outputs and connect them directly to the bulb flasher outputs. You will then need to check your bulbs the old fashioned way - turn on the lights and look at each bu

Could you possibly explain this to me a little more detailed? And when my flashers are on there is a tick in the trunk where the antenna and set of fuses are,  makes a ticking sound and once I do this wiring it will allow all LEDs to work, I'm not too worried about bright ness and what not just trying to get it working right before I start spending more :)

This retired mechanic / electrician / tech / anal tinkerer started out on this project thinking it would be much simpler. Just swap a few bulbs right? They are so cheap and plentiful from China. Once I got into it I just could not stop. Just one more tweek ought to do it.......   I even hooked up a couple timing relays so that the center stop lights would flash briefly then stay on. (Yeah I know. Maybe a bit much)  In the end I have lights that are brighter and much more noticeable.  Not trying to draw attention but rather I just don't want to get rear ended. I will never know if this project prevented an accident but there is now no doubt about my intention to turn or stop or whatever.

Was it worth it?  Not sure I would have done it if I had known ahead of time what I was getting into. Now that I am done I am glad I did it. Hopefully some of my feedback will make the job easier for someone who wants to be thorough and do the job right and end up with something that is indeed better than original from a safety standpoint..  Purists can keep their incandescent slower dimmer cheaper..............    oooh I better be careful now.......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

I even hooked up a couple timing relays so that the center stop lights would flash briefly then stay on. (Yeah I know. Maybe a bit much) 

I can appreciate the safety aspects of what you did. I actually have a center stop light flasher module installed in my Reatta right now. I used a flasher module about the size of a nickle that is made for that purpose. It took about twenty minutes to install and it does get lots of attention from drivers behind me. Perhaps the extra brightness of LEDs all the way around would give another layer of safety but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra work and expense for me. If you know me at all you know that I'm not a purist.

Below are photos/details of the flasher I used in case someone else wants a flashing center stop light. Only one wire needs to be cut and it all fits next to the center stop light bulbs. I have it programmed to flash five times when I hit the brakes and the burn full bright.

59459753544b6_BrakeFlasher(8).thumb.JPG.f326cf4633fb4ea10e4f709222e2ec99.JPG

5945975572933_BrakeFlasher(12).thumb.JPG.3b85e67d2c705b1082c4376defa48467.JPG

5945975728fe6_BrakeFlasher(15).thumb.JPG.13d40dcea3db225cd219d0074b429930.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

Had I known that flasher was available I would have used that instead of my home made setup. Thanx for the info Ronnie. I appreciate all your input on a variety of subjects.

Thanks. I'm always happy to help when I can.

• Like 3