Buick Matching numbers help

i had listed this in general forum but someone suggested to here. Hi all need guidance on how to determine if my car has all matching numbers  engine or how to match numbers to engine and other components. I got the vin of the frame and the block number but not sure what numbers i have to match. Any other locations i should look for more numbers. Thanks for the help. 1935 buick S40. I hope they all match 

11 hours ago, 35buickakaBelle said:

i had listed this in general forum but someone suggested to here. Hi all need guidance on how to determine if my car has all matching numbers  engine or how to match numbers to engine and other components. I got the vin of the frame and the block number but not sure what numbers i have to match. Any other locations i should look for more numbers. Thanks for the help. 1935 buick S40. I hope they all match 

Cars up the early 1950's did not have a VIN as we know them today. Wikipedia Vehicle Identification Number
It will/should have a
- frame serial number on a plate riveted to the the frame
- an engine serial number near the distributor
- a data plate on the firewall. Should have 35-4xxx, unique body number and have codes for paint & trim (xxx= depends on style)

If you list the numbers and/or photo's Sean1997 will be along to decode

There is a range of frame serial numbers that are identified to a specific year.  There is also a range of engine serial numbers that is identified to a specific year.  There is no practical way to say " this frame number should have this engine number".. A low frame number in the range of numbers in the production run should have a low engine number in the range on engine numbers.  Blocks of frame numbers were allocated to different assembly plants so this clouds the issue even further.  Serial numbers for 1935 start at 2777650 and end at 2830898.  40 series engines start at 42937408 and end at 42995237.

Bob Engle

Low and low or high and high isn't exactly so.  Convertible bodies were all made in Flint in '39 for example.  The were all used in sequence with engines but used as orders required.  There is no practiical way to do it, but through the efforts of the late Terry Dunham, the Buick Historical Alliance could figure out what week the total car was built,  but I don't know if they do.  Terry would do it for a fee but he is gone now and his stuff was left or donated to the Alliance.

• 1 month later...