I like an appreciate DASH PLAQUES

Paul Dobbin

About 50 years ago I had a 1957 Porsche Speedster while stationed in West Germany.  I belonged to the Wiesbaden Porsche Club and participated in the Mainz-Finthen Army Airfield Sports Car Races in 1967.  While my Speedster was an old car then, wee had a ball.  At the end of the event, they gave me a dash plaque (Upper left corner in the picture below.)  I saved it for 5 years until I got involved in American Antique Cars, then I got another dash plaque for participation in a Old Car Event in Treasure Island Florida (Also upper left)
Now 50 years later I still have most of the dash plaques from events, long after any trophy or photographs
have been lost to the ages.  When I see them hanging on a wall in the Barn/Garage/Shop I remember the Show/Event/Tour and the fun we've had sharing our hobby all over the USA.
In the last few years I've noticed that the 58 cent Dash Plaque is becoming a thing of the past.  I find that
kind of insulting that I pay $15.00 to $5000.00 to enter an event and the 58 cent Dash Plaque is replaced only by paper flyers for up coming shows & events.  It's even happened on AACA National Tours.
Am I alone in thinking the Dash Plaque is a good will token to remember the happening?DSC03239.thumb.JPG.7db98da1649e15cfd0a36fd23b9c47af.JPG
  • Like 1

I'd pay a fair amount for a 1950 Glidden Tour dash plaque to put on my 1912 Model T Ford, the caretaker at that time didn't bother. I started putting all my dash plaques in a Louis Scherry tin candy box around 1964, I may look at them once a year. The local Region used to give out a nice quality plaque with the Region Presidents car on it, it was a quality item, but like all things got cheaper as the years went on until the show ended in 1995. Bob

Yes, I also appreciate dash plaques.  They are compact and don't take up a ton of room, and don't have to be mounted 'on the dash' as seen in the top pic.  I also have plenty of them dating back to the late 1970's.

Craig